Get New Content

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
This function isn't working correctly for me anymore. Actually, I don't think it ever really worked correctly (since the upgrade), since as someone before mentioned I don't think it reported threads I posted in. But now it reports almost nothing. Does anyone know what the problem is? Surely I can't be the only person experiencing this, but I don't see any topics, so...

The view new topics was usually completely new methods and code in 3.0.0, but since 3.0.1, it now uses the same as the board did before the upgrade (2.x style) so it should be much better now.

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday, and I'm very happy of being able to re-read a thread without having to search all over the place where it was. So it's working for me.

Hasn't worked properly for me since the upgrade. I have a bookmark in my Firefox toolbar that goes straight to the "Gp32x new Content" link, and previously this worked okay - I'd get a list straight away of new topics.

But since the upgrade, that link doesn't work any more, and it doesn't work if I copy the URL from "View New Content" and put it in my bookmark - it seems I have to visit the board first, *then* press the link in the page (not my bookmark), to get new posts ..

Kind of weird. Actually, sort of annoying but I'll get over it. ;)

torpor said:
Hasn't worked properly for me since the upgrade. I have a bookmark in my Firefox toolbar that goes straight to the "Gp32x new Content" link, and previously this worked okay - I'd get a list straight away of new topics.

But since the upgrade, that link doesn't work any more, and it doesn't work if I copy the URL from "View New Content" and put it in my bookmark - it seems I have to visit the board first, *then* press the link in the page (not my bookmark), to get new posts ..

Kind of weird. Actually, sort of annoying but I'll get over it. ;)

Yup, that's the same problem I'm getting

Last edited by a moderator:
That'll explain why I've not had the problem then, I always visit the front page first, then the forums, then View new content.

Out of interest, do you keep cookies around after a browsing session or delete them?

I always visit the board first and then click "View New Content." It comes up with only a fraction of the new posts or none of them at all. I can't imagine that viewing the front page first would help but I could try.

Just to mention, it only gets you the new posts since the last time you visited, in other words when you logged out. Every post you didn't read in your previous session is ignored from then on.

Edit: Apparently it also ignores the current new posts if you stay idle for a certain amount of time (I think it's half an hour or so...)

gp2.eXe said:
Just to mention, it only gets you the new posts since the last time you visited, in other words when you logged out. Every post you didn't read in your previous session is ignored from then on.

Edit: Apparently it also ignores the current new posts if you stay idle for a certain amount of time (I think it's half an hour or so...)

Great, then it not giving me new posts must be coupled to it logging me out all the time.

*grumble*

If you keep your cookies per browser session then it shouldn't keep logging you out.

The only problem I have is that every so often when I visit the board to check for new posts, it says that my last login was at that exact time I visited the boards (ie, 0 minutes ago) and then promptly gives me zero posts as a result. You used to be able to say "I don't care, give me all of todays posts" but it doesn't seem to be possible any more.

Squidge said:
If you keep your cookies per browser session then it shouldn't keep logging you out.

The only problem I have is that every so often when I visit the board to check for new posts, it says that my last login was at that exact time I visited the boards (ie, 0 minutes ago) and then promptly gives me zero posts as a result. You used to be able to say "I don't care, give me all of todays posts" but it doesn't seem to be possible any more.

It should give you all posts that you haven't seen yet. Not posts that you haven't seen since your last login, not posts that you haven't seen that are less than 30 minutes old, all posts that you haven't seen. Like every other forum does, like this forum always has.

And I am keeping cookies, this problem is specific to this site as of now.

The problem with that is you might not be interested in all the posts that you have not read, so it shows you all posts its not shown you before once, and once only. Obviously it can't tag every message with every user that has seen it, so it just logs the time of your last visit and find all topics with new posts since then.

Exophase said:
Squidge said:

It should give you all posts that you haven't seen yet. Not posts that you haven't seen since your last login, not posts that you haven't seen that are less than 30 minutes old, all posts that you haven't seen. Like every other forum does, like this forum always has.

And I am keeping cookies, this problem is specific to this site as of now.
I don't know why I never noticed this before but... what posts the board shows you is an option...

1. Go to the top right of the screen and click your name. From the drop-down menu choose My Settings.
  2. Under Settings>General Settings scroll down until you find Search Settings. That's where the option View New Content Method is located.
  3. Choose Show me all content that I have not read.
And voilá, you get all unread posts no matter how old they are. I don't know if it was added after this thread was started but it's there.
There's a problem however... it will hide every thread that you have already read, including the one you just posted in... exactly the same problem we had before. Reverting back the mode does show it again though...

Back