Geepee32 Doesn't Work For My Own Developed Stuff

rasmuskaae

Still Fresh
hi

i've made some small 2d-demonstrations that runs flawlessly on the gp32 hardware. since the process of compiling and transfer to the gp32 is tedius - i'd like to try out the code in the emulator. when i start the emulator all i get is a white screen - no errors, no nothing. i'm using darkfaders fw157e.bin - could that be the issue?

the only thing i can tell you is that not all homebrew and emulators work with the geepee. i tried a lot of emus and homebrew, a lot of them work , but a few didnt work.
i think i was using this firmware.

GeePee32 isn't that compatible. A lot of hardware registers are not updated correctly, so a lot of homebrew will hang waiting for something to happen that never will.

geepee32's development was stopped when it was still far from beeing complete. it might not be the best choice to use it and stick with real hardware in this case.

On the other hand, when it worked, life was good ;) I had set up scripts to build and launch and quick-die keys into the apps and such, for really quick build/test cycles. (As a PDA and mobile dev I'm forever using emus or sims or test frameworks on native machine.. thats definately a 20 times over time saver..)

I found GeePee32 worked pretty wlel if you didn't push it too far; definately you end up with some #ifdef's though to avoid things that kill it.

jeff

I remember writing my own GP32 emulator, same people may remember it. It didn't have any controls, audio or the ability to load files, but it did support LCD output. However, it was _SLOW_. Much slower than GeePee. It showed the problem that GeePee had and how to solve it, but the author never released the source code to GeePee.

Back