Gdbserver Via Serial Cable

Lonewolf9383

Still Fresh
Hello everyone, well i finally got back into GP2x development and am loving the little device. I am however having problems debugging code on the the gp2x. Having the printf statements is ok for most things in hyperterminal but i was wandering if anyone had successfully got gdb and gdbserver running from there windows machine?
I am using the docking station/breakout board and a standard serial cable.
When i run the gdbserver (from the wiki/file archive) on the gp2x it seems to start ok and wait as i would expect. However i can not seem to get arm-linux-gdb to connect to it. I have tried using /dev/tty, /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 for the server but im not sure which port it is on the breakout board.
I always get the error ioctl failed or something.

Am i barking up the wrong tree, is it even possible to do this using the serial cable and my F200?
Thanks to anyone who can help me before i tear all my hair out (im too young to go bold... :p)

I always find it easier to just gdb directly on the device, as the serial port isn't 'dedicated'.

Thanks for the reply. That is definatly an option that i will try out. At the moment i have developed my engine to run on both pc and gp2x so most of my debugging can be done via pc. I was hopeing to find a solution that would allow me to use an ide for debugging such as codeblocks.
When you say the serial is not dedicated do you mean that it can change between the tty's?

Thanks again

The kernel can (and does) spit out crap to the serial on occasion, which typically corrupts protocols.

Back