Gamepark Modification Help

Forevereon

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I did a few searches (here and Google) and I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find documentation on how to modify my original GP32 (non-flu obviously, non-blu obviously, non-overclocked) to make it FLU myself? It seems that Lik-Sang is currently out of stock on GP32s of all kinds (so buying it is not really an option, especially considering I shelled out $250 already, painted my Gamepark, and don't really want to buy another one), and the thought of modding my GP32 myself sounds kind of fun. I'm sure it would just require 2 LEDs from Radioshack soldered to the board to get power, but I'm looking for pictures of where and how. I'm sure somebody has done it before the FLU's were released, but I can't seem to locate anything.

Help would be greatly appreciated, especially before my curiousity wears off and I find something else to do.

Also on a side note, has anybody case modded the GP32? I thought it might be neat to gut a Neo Geo Pocket Color, but the case is just slightly too small and cutting it more than neccessary does not sound fun. After a happy year of owning my Gamepark, these new next-gen consoles coming out makes me want to freshen up it's image. That and that purple case I painted is no longer appearling.

Thanks.

Well, Lik-sang will never be stocking GP32`s at all any time in the future, Because Gamepark sourced a new supplier for their blu screens which caused a lot of problems (now pretty much sorted out thanks to the devers) coined the blu+ by the community.

I heard alot of people doing all sorts of mods to their GP`s including replacing the screen with one from a pocket pc (very hacky looking), Worm lights and placing led`s in the buttons etc. But have never heard of anyone doing a Flu modification on a Nlu and i`ve been here a few years.

Wish you luck in finding what you are looking for, Unless someone here knows something i don`t, I there is, i`m sure they will share it will you.

EDIT: Damed dictionary. :rolleyes:

Trooper

My boyfriend just recently informed me in last ten minutes that if I was crazy enough I might be able to adjust a gameboy advance afterburner kit and use that. Though I would still documentation on where on the gamepark to attach the wires.

Also what "problems" did lik-sang have with this "blu+"? I don't really follow the boards that often. Where they faulty and lik-sang did not want to replace them? If so that's sad, because that's where I bought my original gamepark.

Forevereon posted on May 18 2005 at 03:28 PM said:
My boyfriend just recently informed me in last ten minutes that if I was crazy enough I might be able to adjust a gameboy advance afterburner kit and use that. Though I would still documentation on where on the gamepark to attach the wires.

Also what "problems" did lik-sang have with this "blu+"? I don't really follow the boards that often. Where they faulty and lik-sang did not want to replace them? If so that's sad, because that's where I bought my original gamepark.

An Afterburner light wouldn't work, its not big enough. Many have tried that too (I think). There were compatibility issues with the BLU+. Some programs have graphical issues. But now almost all programs work.

Last edited by a moderator:
The afterburner for the gba is too small for the GP isn`t it ?.

Gba screen size 2.9 inches.
GP32`s screen size is 3.5 inches.

Sorry i don`t own a gba and don`t know much about the afterburner mod, Though i know what it is. ;)

Trooper

Blah posted on May 18 2005 at 11:31 PM said:
Forevereon posted on May 18 2005 at 03:28 PM said:

An Afterburner light wouldn't work, its not big enough. Many have tried that too (I think). There were compatibility issues with the BLU+. Some programs have graphical issues. But now almost all programs work.

Well while waiting for a response I googled "GP32 afterburner" and found this (I don't know why it did not show up on the sites search engine):

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=1694

"Lit or unlit?

The front light unit (FLU) is very impressive, but pricey. Really, unless you're going to playing at night in the dark, or in a car overnight etc. the light isn't needed. The screen reflects well and is much clearer than the Gameboy Color screen for example. However look around for other people's opinions if you are unsure. NOTE: you can't add an GBA afterburner light to the GP32 due to the Afterburner light-reflecting membrane being too small for the gp32's screen. Edit - There is now a back-lit unit (BLU) available with slightly updated components."

Though what does that last part mean? I mean it's an old FAQ, but is he talking about the Gp32 BLU or is he talking about an Afterburner backlight kit? Because I thought the Afterburner for th GBA was a Front Light kit, but everyone calls it a backlight. I'm so lost.

Forget about that kit.

I bought my NLU before the FLU was out.
A month later the FLU had been released and they promised us an upgrade kit - which had never been released :(

EvilDragon posted on May 18 2005 at 11:41 PM said:
Forget about that kit.

I bought my NLU before the FLU was out.
A month later the FLU had been released and they promised us an upgrade kit - which had never been released :(

It seems like it would not be that hard though. Even if the GBA screen is smaller (therefore the componant part would be smaller) you could posistion it in the middle of the GP32 screen and it would still light it up a fair amount. It's not like I'm going to be playing it in the end of the world where there are no lights. I just thought the idea would be neat.

Maybe I should just give up and put LEDs inside the buttons.

If you really want a lit GP32, you should buy an FLU or BLU. If you don't wanna have 2 GP32's, then sell the one you have now(but if that's teh case, then get an FLU). You don't really need 2 unless you get a BLU(still don't really need 2) because the BLU screen is supposedly a lot harder to see when there's outside light shining on it. I can tell you firsthand that trying to play it in light really does suck, but I've never seen a non-lit or FLU GP32, so I can't compare them.

I was kind of thinking about getting a FLU or non-lit one, but now that OSNES9XGP has been fixed to work on BLU+'s, I don't really need one anymore... but it would still be nice to have a different one if there really is a big difference in outside light.

Forevereon posted on May 19 2005 at 08:58 AM said:

What happened here was Gamepark changed the screen without telling anyone, and so when people ordered them from Lik-Sang and thought they were faulty, they wanted to send them back. Lik-Sang got many complaints and returns (even though the units were fine) because of this, and so decided to stop stocking GP32 altogether.

Not that it really matters much though, because you can get BLU+s from Jrswiss (when he's got 'em in stock) and GBAx. And from these places they're even guaranteed to run 160mHz.

Forevereon posted on May 18 2005 at 10:44 PM said:
and the thought of modding my GP32 myself sounds kind of fun. I'm sure it would just require 2 LEDs from Radioshack soldered to the board to get power, but I'm looking for pictures of where and how. I'm sure somebody has done it before the FLU's were released, but I can't seem to locate anything.

It is possible, because the FLU is actually a NLU that has been modded (by another korean company, not even Gamepark itself). So if someone would take apart his FLU, compare it to a NLU (and has some technical skills) he should be able to find out how the mod works. But i fear it requires some stuff that are quite hard to find... I think you need to apply a special foil to the inner side of the screen and so on...

Probably the hardest part would be finding a light and light guide that is off the appropriate size. The one that is used in the FLUs wasn't even the appropriate size as it is too big and they just snaped the cornes off to wedge it in there. Installation wouldn't be THAT hard, but some modding it needed. Find the light and light guide first, then I'll tell ya the rest!

White Demon posted on May 19 2005 at 04:08 AM said:
Forevereon posted on May 19 2005 at 08:58 AM said:

What happened here was Gamepark changed the screen without telling anyone, and so when people ordered them from Lik-Sang and thought they were faulty, they wanted to send them back. Lik-Sang got many complaints and returns (even though the units were fine) because of this, and so decided to stop stocking GP32 altogether.

Not that it really matters much though, because you can get BLU+s from Jrswiss (when he's got 'em in stock) and GBAx. And from these places they're even guaranteed to run 160mHz.

That's understandable. My entire point though was that I did not want to buy another Gamepark, simply because I just don't have the money laying around. Buying some kind of kit and making my NLU (I just realized what that meant lol) into a FLU sounded cheap and fun. I still might do a little research into it but I'll wait until I repaint my gamepark and replace the screen before I get worked up over it again.

Also, your icon scares me. The first time I saw it (on another board) I had a parallel reality moment because I had the same icon for my livejournal for the longest time. =) Like, exactly the same. I made it myself.

Here's a link to HahoTech, the company that did the FLU mod for the GP32:

Hahotech

.. Hope it's of some use to you :)

Back