front light research...

nerd of nerds

w00t!!!!
ok, i have spen countless hours on yhe internet searching for a front light manufacturer and all i have come up with is a company called minebea. they have a frontlight that would fit gp32 PERFECTLY, the problem is they don't sell in small quantities, and i don't think they do samples :(

has anyone else searched and found a company? maybe we could ask the Triton labs guy where he gets his front lights, becuase almost all companies that make them make SOME type of light for pda lcds (same size as the gp32's lcd).

A backlight wouldnt work, as the display is REFLECTIVE!!!

Has anyone got the pinouts of the gp32's lcd? they were in devrs.com for a while but they disappeared. If we can find the pinouts we can find a replacement lcd that has a front/back light....

Would a writeup with detailed diagrams about different lighting devices for lcds be useful to many people?

maybe this should be made sticky ;)

I would be more interested in replacing the LCD itself with a backlit LCD. I'm sure this must be possible somehow, if someone could find a portable TV or other device with a screen that could be modified somehow. Or maybe a company willing to sell LCD's, someone could take orders for a group of us and buy in bulk. I love the GP32 dearly, but I really wish the screen was better.

that all sounds very time consuming, and just .. a lot of work really (developing a backlit model, or fitting a front lit unit)

why not just sell your system on ebay and cough up the extra $$ for a FLU model?
I know it kind of sucks because you already bought the system and spent the dough, but it seems like the best option to get a professional-level job...

as for the backlight version, as far as replacing the whole LCD.. that just sounds like a true pain in the ass to me. i suppose if you're an honest-to-goodness gearhead and you enjoy trying to get super-customized things like that going, then it could be a cool hobby.. but if you just want a GP32-grade device that's backlit, why not just buy a Zodiac (I believe it's backlit) or just wait to see whatever comes next down the line.

I have a FLU unit, it's not 100% perfect as opposed to a backlit model (which would certainly need more batteries!) but for what it is I am really satisfied with their solution, I recommend it.

Like I said, if you really want "better than that" then the best bet is to just watch and see what comes out next, but you could always be doing that.. you know?

I always wondered why some chinese company didn't make a replacement LCD screen for the original GBA and sell it through lik sang or something. It could be done, shouldn't be that hard. Most backlit LCD displays now have the light built in as a sheet of luminescent "paper" behind it, so you would only need the ribbon cable to fit and maybe 2 extra wires for the light. I know I'm probably just dreaming here, but it can't hurt. ;)
As far as the Zodiac, I had one and returned it. I had the analog pad problem, and there's nothing going on in the Zodiac scene right now except crappy palm games, etc. I really don't like the way the Zodiac feels in my hands either, the shoulder buttons are useless and the 4 action buttons feel cheap. The analog stick doesn't feel right for emus, either. But the screen is beautiful. If you could put that screen in the GP32, and add two more buttons... :D

i don't know what the smallest quantities are, i wasn't the one takling to them as i am 14...see, my mom is a tard, i actually knew what to say to them but, she is a tart and F@#$ed it up...i would say the smalles would be like 1000 :( but i don't see how companies can just buy 100000 of these and MAKE their product work with it, it just doesn't seem practical. also, i know that sony makes a front light, but they don't seem like they would be much better...adn actually a backlight wouldn't work as well as a frontlight outdoors and in the car and such.

If i could get SOME type of frontlight I could install it. i know the inner layout of the gp32 and have it memorized and at one point i even had in my mind (from measureing and educated guesses) where it would need to be cut, if at all.

Back