Flashing firmware using GeePee32

liquidcross

Website
Visit site
I flashed it correctly, and everything worked fine, using a virtual SMC...but when I restarted, I got an "error bppmode" popup window, and I had to force quit the emulator. I want to test out Wind-Ups, PacRom, etc. before I actually buy a GP32, and I know it's been done in GeePee32 before. Did I miss something?

I know nothing about flashing firmware in the emulator, but you can test out wind-ups by just creating an SMC image... the multi-fw just lets you boot directly into wind-ups, it doesn't change windups.

Also, the games/emulators are the main thing. My preference is booting directly to windups, but that isn't necessary... if you like/don't the available games, emulators, movies and/or mp3 player then its worth buying! Unfortunately, you can't just the speed of most emulators using GeePee32, it runs them slower than the actual machine.

Arutha posted on May 12 2003 said:
I know nothing about flashing firmware in the emulator, but you can test out wind-ups by just creating an SMC image... the multi-fw just lets you boot directly into wind-ups, it doesn't change windups.
I put in the default firmware, and GeePee32 runs fine; but I don't know how to load Wind-Ups into a SMC image.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a version ofwind-ups that is not installed as firmware. You can download it and then install it just like any other program on your card. This would be a good way to test out ind-ups and see if youlike it before flashing the firmware. I have installed the multiboot firmware and I like it alot. If for whatever reson once you have installed it you just want to use the normal firmware you can set it to bootdirectly into the normal firmware and just ignore the other stuff or just reflash the bios. I have used the flasher and installed the multiboot firmware and then reinstalled the normal firmware then once again went back to the multiboot and have had no problems at all.

Unfortunately liquidcross is talking about the GeePee32 emulator (emulates the GP32) not an actual machine.

As for running windups on the emulator, get the windups.fpk... I think you might be able to run that directly from the emu w/o having to create an SMC file. You probably won't be able to save things, but you can look at the desktop. I don't know how that will be more informative than the pictures available, but go for it.

If it isn't possible, doesn't work, search around for the fpk unpacker (it unpacks the fpk file into the separate files/directories). Then search around for smc maker program and... you guessed it, use that to create a .smc file that has windups and possibly anything else you want to include.

Older GeePee32 emulator versions like public24 cannot emulate the 1bpp screen mode the MultiFW bootmenu uses.. :blink:
(off the record.. GP32 SDK cannot setup that screenmode correctly either :angry: )

Back