Firmware 2.1.0 Demo

(naw)mcx posted on Sep 3 2006 at 12:31 AM said:
Here have a try! http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,1787

More options, fades between screens. Just a bit more polished really! And a skin changer which is nice! ID3 tags!

See other thread about this. It's so people can create new gps files, which is a single file containing all the files for a skin. Can be changed on your GP2x firmware 2.1.0 on the fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thread title's a bit on the misleading side. This may give you an idea of how FW 2.1.0 will look and some options, but it's by no means a demo. Sort of like calling a thread where you ask for an emulator to be developed 'Full Speed Saturn Emulator'. :p

I hope they optimized this a lot and the menu at least uses the hardware blitter. The existing menu interface is appallingly slow without fading effects.

Do we really need fade effects? :( Too much fancy going on if you ask me.

- Alex

Lawl, upon further examination the archive would be 4.4 MB SMALLER if they left out the 4000x4000 pixel GP2X photo you can't even view. :p Also a lot of the buttons don't seem to be bound to anything, like L+R so if you go into T-Mode, you can't get out. Still, I guess the new skin features and fading/etc are nice enough to have, but they're hardly what GPH needs to be focusing on, especially if it takes them such an ungodly amount of time to develop these things.

The CPU Clock adjust option is probably turning on/off the automatic switching of 920T clock when in the menu. Character Set .. well you can sort of take that at face value I suppose, but I can't think of where it'd be useful, I guess the 'e-book' reader is affected by it.

I hope the MMU hack is implemented as a kernel module like Craig had mentioned, but it was supposed to be an option you could turn on/off. If it's not in the menu, it probably isn't implemented at all.

Epicenter posted on Sep 2 2006 at 05:04 PM said:
Also a lot of the buttons don't seem to be bound to anything, like L+R so if you go into T-Mode, you can't get out.
L=q and R=e

[quote
Do we really need fade effects? :( Too much fancy going on if you ask me.

Touche, Alex, what about the new firmware working with more video/audio formats?
O.K., Xvid does the job nicely, as does mp3, but it seems to be an issue worth addressing, for the masses!

Epicenter posted on Sep 2 2006 at 05:04 PM said:
Lawl, upon further examination the archive would be 4.4 MB SMALLER if they left out the 4000x4000 pixel GP2X photo you can't even view. :p Also a lot of the buttons don't seem to be bound to anything, like L+R so if you go into T-Mode, you can't get out. Still, I guess the new skin features and fading/etc are nice enough to have, but they're hardly what GPH needs to be focusing on, especially if it takes them such an ungodly amount of time to develop these things.

The CPU Clock adjust option is probably turning on/off the automatic switching of 920T clock when in the menu. Character Set .. well you can sort of take that at face value I suppose, but I can't think of where it'd be useful, I guess the 'e-book' reader is affected by it.

I hope the MMU hack is implemented as a kernel module like Craig had mentioned, but it was supposed to be an option you could turn on/off. If it's not in the menu, it probably isn't implemented at all.

I managed to get it to show the jpg....the little utility seemed to actually work in places...

Epicenter posted on Sep 2 2006 at 03:45 PM said:
I hope they optimized this a lot and the menu at least uses the hardware blitter. The existing menu interface is appallingly slow without fading effects.

Just use Ryo's menu. It totally rocks and is so much better than the existing menu anyway. Much easier and faster to navigate. GPH should have made his the new FW. All that would be needed is a complete set of custom made icons (the included ones are from scaled down PC icons)

So with this new FW we gain fading, but lose the MMU hack making many emulators unplayable hmmm.

Tough choice but I think I will stick with 2.0 ;)

DaveC posted on Sep 2 2006 at 01:00 PM said:
So with this new FW we gain fading, but lose the MMU hack making many emulators unplayable hmmm.

Are you sure? Those fades are pretty smooth...

- Alex

DaveC posted on Sep 2 2006 at 11:00 AM said:

I doubt that we will "lose" the MMU hack, the question is whether they will include something that does what the MMU hack does into the unit itself instead of having the code be part of apps. I would think it's kind of tricky because it will break as many apps as it speeds up.

DaveC posted on Sep 2 2006 at 12:00 PM said:
Just use Ryo's menu. It totally rocks and is so much better than the existing menu anyway. Much easier and faster to navigate. GPH should have made his the new FW. All that would be needed is a complete set of custom made icons (the included ones are from scaled down PC icons)

I do use GMenu2x, it's much better than GPH's menu, by far. Indeed they should integrate it into the firmware once you can set all the options you can in GPH's menu.

As for the MMU hack. It works fine in individual apps but it was supposed to be added as a kernel module so EVERY program benefits. Apps that use it internally, like gngeo2x, DrMDx, SquidgeSNES etc would need it removed from them though, of course. You don't want it in a program AND at kernel level.

DaveC posted on Sep 2 2006 at 05:00 PM said:
Just use Ryo's menu. It totally rocks and is so much better than the existing menu anyway. Much easier and faster to navigate. GPH should have made his the new FW.
Ryo´s menu isnt a Firmware, its just a frontend. And you can use it in FW 2.1 aswell, so why do you whine again?

Fishbong posted on Sep 2 2006 at 02:15 PM said:
DaveC posted on Sep 2 2006 at 05:00 PM said:
Just use Ryo's menu. It totally rocks and is so much better than the existing menu anyway. Much easier and faster to navigate. GPH should have made his the new FW.
Ryo´s menu isnt a Firmware, its just a frontend. And you can use it in FW 2.1 aswell, so why do you whine again?

Because new users who don't know what they're doing installing a custom menu applcation would be better off having it preinstalled. The existing menu is a terrible piece of shit.

Back