Firefox Extension - Grab And Drag

Stouffa

From browsing around other posts on these forums, I ended up finding a link to a Firefox Extension that might be interesting on the Pandora:

http://grabanddrag.mozdev.org/index.html

Is this at all relevant to the Pandora, or would it need to be specifically ported to it? (I've no developer knowledge at all, so pray forgive my ignorance on this!!)

I watched the video(on the right), that looks like it would be VERY handy on a portable device like the pandora!

Yeah, I have it installed and pretty much quit using scrollbars. In fact if you load a large image, you can pan around in that, too. It's a really helpful add-on, and would be very nice to have on my Panda!

1) I thought we were going to get Fennec?

2) I don't want any default addons in my Firefox.

3) Middle mouse button already does this?

Kramy said:

1. It autoscrolls. This is different.

2. We don't exactly have a middle mouse button on the Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
Kramy said:
1) I thought we were going to get Fennec?
I may be mistaken, but I thought that Firefox was going to be the stock browser. I don't doubt that we'll get Fennec at some point, though.

2) I don't want any default addons in my Firefox.
I must say that I agree - I always preferred adding what I personally need, myself, from a blank slate. :p

I believe this is a Windows-only thing - I certainly don't get that behaviour on my Linux boxes, and I don't recall ever seeing it on Mac OS X back when I used that (that was back in the 10.3.x days, granted). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though. :p

I've used grab and drag on several tablet pcs of mine over the last couple years -- I've been looking forward to using it on the Pandora as well. :)

Prometheus said:
I believe this is a Windows-only thing - I certainly don't get that behaviour on my Linux boxes, and I don't recall ever seeing it on Mac OS X back when I used that (that was back in the 10.3.x days, granted). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though. :p
You are wrong, and I am correcting you. :p
I've been using middleclick scroll in Linux for quite some time.

Pardon my off-topicness, please. :p

WizardStan said:
Prometheus said:
You are wrong, and I am correcting you. :p
I've been using middleclick scroll in Linux for quite some time.
Haha, cool. What distro are you using, out of curiousity? (The reason I ask is because I'm not getting that with stock Firefox on any of the *buntus, Puppy, or SliTaz. Or maybe it's just that none of them like the built-in pointing devices I use, or my one USB mouse. :lol: )

I thought that one of the analog nubs would work like a scroll wheel on a mouse.

OpenTheBox said:
A clickable nub would've been great to simulate the grab. ;)

I could swear I read somewhere that the nubs had some degree of pressure sensitivity... If so, this might actually be possible! :D

I approve.

Oh, one thing. Do all Firefox ad-ons work on Pandora? There are so many possibilities if so...

Yeah, I agree that I like having a clean slate too, but I think that in the case of the Pandora's size and mobility, it only makes sense to include an add-on that will help navigate pages like this one does. Of course there's nothing stopping you from disabling or removing the add-on, or downloading and installing Firefox with no add-ons. More likely than not, if Firefox does come on the Pandora(or with an OS), it will have no extra add-ons. There will probably be a list somewhere on the forums of useful and essential add-ons, though.

Prometheus said:
Haha, cool. What distro are you using, out of curiousity? (The reason I ask is because I'm not getting that with stock Firefox on any of the *buntus, Puppy, or SliTaz. Or maybe it's just that none of them like the built-in pointing devices I use, or my one USB mouse. :lol: )
I run Ubuntu, and it works with both the stock Firefox which comes in the repository, and the package you can download off the Firefox website. I'm going to make a suggestion that your middle click may not be working as intended. Can you at least middle click a link to open a new tab? You may have an ... wait!
Open a new tab, go to "about:config", search for the entry "general.autoScroll". Make sure it is "True". Apparently it is default "False". Either an old install of Ubuntu set it to True for me, and it's just carried forward all these years, or I manually set it to True at some point and forgot about it.

Ha! There it is, thankyou very much. I had no idea that was even available. :D

Back