File Extension For Movie Files Needed?

dochuge

Still Fresh
Ok guys,

I finally got my toy today and things have been hit and miss. Some of the emulation is truly excellent (I started a four page thread about a week ago). Now I'm trying to play vids on it. I know that it will play divx files and I actually downloaded a divx converter. However, the movie program won't recognize these files. I just put a few in a "movies" folder but when I click on it I get an empty screen. Should I be renaming my movie files so that the movie program will recognize them? Sorry, couldn't find the answer on this board or others.

They should be named filename.avi

Also, for best results I recommend PocketDivX, with any standard PDA setting.

-Alex

Hmmmm....

Thanks for the tip but I did name them exactly in that manner. The movie player does not recognize these files.
Still just a blank screen.

I tried the PocketDivX like you suggested but the file just HANGS THERE. It says its encoding and I get "0%" for like 10 minutes straight. I really am trying to figure this out on my own, it's half the fun (I got several emulators to work after it took a couple of times of tweaking).

Congrats on your GP2X dochuge, yes in fact, a great part of the fun you can have from your GP2X is trying to setup your emulators and games :)
From what you said I understand that you are converting the videos you already have to divx on your PC then you try playing them on GP2X:
Try downloading some files that are already encoded in divx (make sure they are not encoded in divx version 6, I dont remember anyone saying these are supported) and try those files, if they work the problem is with the codecs you have on the PC, remove them completly and try reinstalling them again (or another version from the official site).

Hey, they must not be named ".avi" as else the GP2x would show them, compatible or not. You do realize you HAVE to BROWSE to the FOLDER you want to play files from?

Thanks for the tip but I did name them exactly in that manner. The movie player does not recognize these files.
Still just a blank screen.

I tried the PocketDivX like you suggested but the file just HANGS THERE. It says its encoding and I get "0%" for like 10 minutes straight. I really am trying to figure this out on my own, it's half the fun (I got several emulators to work after it took a couple of times of tweaking).

This is a slim possibility, but do you have "display filename extensions for known filetypes" turned off in Windows Explorer? For example, do your JPG images show up as photoImageName or photoImageName.JPG? My concern is that you've got movieName.divx files that aren't being recognized by the GP2X. When you renamed them, you may have made them movieName.avi.divx.

Sorry if you already know all this, just had to offer it as a possibility. Not implying that you're a complete Windows/PC newbie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,

I'll keep pluggin' away. Actually I got a pretty neat DIVX converter off the net (it's the latest version). I have converted a few and have renamed them with an .avi extension. No, they are NOT avi files but divx ones. I thought I read somewhere you had to do that. I'm still grasping at straws here and trying to find what the "magic formula" is. I have very few files that are natural divx ones so I have to convert them. Most are wmv's. Still love the emulation though!

Thanks Shikaku,

I'm downloading this now. Should movie files have a certain extension after the name?

Hey I got something there, Shikaku! Thanks, BUT not quite there yet. The file plays only for a few seconds and then loops over and over again. Sound is pretty awful too. Can you recommend what settings to use?

I have:

output container AVI

output video codec XVID

output audio codec MP3

audio sampling frequency 22050

Sorry, I don't wanna "bug" people on here but, unlike emulation, I'm pretty clueless to all this video encoding stuff and much appreciate the help!

Dochuge

Don't you think if the sound is awful... you should change the audio settings?

I.E: maybe 128 kbps and 44100 frequency? Or maybe the source was awful to begin with?

About the video problem: maybe you didn't wait for it to convert completely; it can take a long time. It could also be that it's the source file: what kind of file are you trying to convert?

Also, set your bitrate and resolution for video: because the GP2X screen is only 320x240, set it to that. The bitrate shouldn't have to be too high if it is at 320x240, 400 tops, maybe you can get away with 150/200. Experiment.

Awesome!

Thanks Shikaku, you really helped me out here. Now watching vids on my GP2X!

Back