Feedback For Running Script

sepulep

Hi there,

What is the simplest way to show a message on the caanoo screen while running a bash script?
(in order to for example show the progress of the script, so something like an echo to the framebuffer)

Hahahoj said:
Run your script from termula(termlua).

thanks for the suggestion! however this assumes termlua is installed :rolleyes: ..I was hoping for something that can be executed either from the base system, or a very small (<50kb?) compiled program..

cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always run an ssh sever on your Caanoo, connect to it with a (Linux) PC, then run the program from the PC so that you can get information that way.

thanks for the suggestions - I am looking for something however to give feedback to the user when running a script from the caanoo menu:
for example if a program needs a prerequisite library it will just crash silently when this is not present - in this case a simple check
in the script with output to the screen would be very informative and make it more user friendly.

btw, in the end I wrote a small sdl_echo program to write argument to screen using SDL, included here:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,112,775
it is used to report the absence of python (otherwise there would be no feedback)
it is very simple ofcourse...it may be worthwhile to write a program in the same spirit for simple yes/no dialogs.

ps to only thing I don't like is that the executable is 4k, but it needs a seperate ttf font file (often >100k)

Back