F200 Volume Hack

deluded

I've just modded my F200 to reduce the volume.

No photos, but to be honest if you need them then don't attempt this!!

1. Remove batteries and 4 screws
2. Pull back off
3. cut both the red wires going to the speakers about half way down
4. Carefully strip a few mm of each end of the wires - I held them in place with small pliers and used a craft knife.
5. Solder a 15ohm resistor to each wire.
6. Carefully wrap resistor in tape or heat shrink - make sure nothing metal can touch the pcb.
7. Put back together
8. Enjoy a quieter life!

The speakers are 8ohm jobs - adding the 15 ohm resistor roughly halfs the volume. It's still loud on full, but much better when put really quiet. I guess it probably saves a bit of battery as well :)

I take no responsibility for anyone killing their F200 doing this hack. But if you do, please let us know so we can all giggle at your expense ;)

deluded said:
I've just modded my F200 to reduce the volume.

No photos, but to be honest if you need them then don't attempt this!!

1. Remove batteries and 4 screws
2. Pull back off
3. cut both the red wires going to the speakers about half way down
4. Carefully strip a few mm of each end of the wires - I held them in place with small pliers and used a craft knife.
5. Solder a 15ohm resistor to each wire.
6. Carefully wrap resistor in tape or heat shrink - make sure nothing metal can touch the pcb.
7. Put back together
8. Enjoy a quieter life!

The speakers are 8ohm jobs - adding the 15 ohm resistor roughly halfs the volume. It's still loud on full, but much better when put really quiet. I guess it probably saves a bit of battery as well :)

I take no responsibility for anyone killing their F200 doing this hack. But if you do, please let us know so we can all giggle at your expense ;)
I give you props for the initiative, but I have no desire to perform a surgery on my F-200. ;) I've gotten used to quickly holding down the Vol Down button when apps start to nip the loudness in the bud. But ultimately, after my MKII being ridiculously quiet, I welcome the volume upgrade on my F-200.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found that the quietest option on many games was still quite loud.

Certainly seems about the right level for duke nukem now!! :)

Soundlevel depends on the programs. It is possible to make the sound of picodrive fa very low so I'm not planning to mess with my guarantee.

It wont help battery life, as the energy that was going into the speakers is now going into heating up the resistors.

You'd have to tweak the amps input signal to reduce its output drain.

Better still would be a little boot app that fixes f200 sound output levels...

Nice quick-fix mod though.

I was wondering about this.. Been a long time since I did old skool electronics, but assuming I=v/r, and r is now 23ohm rather than 8, I is a lot less thus battery drain is reduced.

However, it's less efficient so when you push the volume up battery drain will increase.

Yes some energy will be heating up the resistors - they'll keep you hands warm in winter.

Actually, putting 8 ohm speakers in this seems like madness - most portable systems use 32 or 64ohm devices. I guess its the only way they could get that much volume.

If someone does find a software fix then you can always remove the resistors and resolder the cables :)

Back