GP32 Exe Disassemble And Fxe Compile

fh36

Still Fresh
is it possible to take a WIN32 EXE and disassemble it, then supposing that the dissasembler outputs to C or C++ could you compile that code to FXE or whatever you need? i want to make some games and apps but i dont really want to have to type it all up. would it be possible to use Game Maker or something along those lines of a PC game maker and disassemble the EXE and compile that code?

i know you would have to go in and change the inputs and crap from the keys on your keyboard to the buttons on the GP32, but other than that would it work?

No, it wont work, not now, not ever.

Windows Games and Apps rely heavily on external libaries, windows is based on this concept. Those would all have to be rewritten, which is ALOT of code to write, and would be alot slower than it would on the PC. This includes all calls to OpenGL, GDI, DirectX, Kernel32, User32, etc... (usually over %25 of the total program)

Assuming the decompiler spit out completely recompileable code that works on the ARM compiler you choose (good luck there). And you manage to replace all of the external calls with custom calls, you would still have to deal with controls, memory (most of those game designers and even games, require ALOT more than 8 MB ram), sound (sounds would have to be converted to proper format and probably downsampled, and made alot smaller), and the simple fact that most windows games, are cpu and memory hogs and have high system requirements.

And even if all of those fell into place, and everything worked out, its still ALOT less work to simply write one from scratch.

yeah its possible but too many specifics. too bad. i was actually thinking about doing this too. maybe i will just make it for pc or something. or just right down the plans for it and hope that i go to Full Sail or some university that has game developement.

diablo2 posted on Mar 29 2004 at 02:22 AM said:
so your saying that it is possible
With about 500x more work that it took the original author to write the program, maybe.

And even if you managed to get it decompiled and 100% recompiled on the GP32, with everything fixed up and replaced, I highly doubt it would run at any playable speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, but i wasnt planning on making it a full blown pc game. you know minimalist graphics, same resolution as gp32, midi. but i geuss it is too much work. but oh well. so if i were to make a game for gp32 how would i go about it? how good is mirko's sdk replacement? i cant find any documentation about it on his site. is there any on here?

If YOU make the game in C/C++ and stay away from any external functions that do not have GP32 replacements then if you follow a few rules, you can just recompile the source on the GP32 no problem.

Its alot different if you are trying to decompile something (most decompilers dont output recompilable code), especially something made for a specific platform.

But if its a game you designed, and you programmed in C/C++ then recompiling it for GP32 isnt a big problem as long as you keep it within 8 MB ram, stay away from external functions where possible, use compatible media, etc...

In most cases they are not.

Game Makers themselves pose another problem. They base themselves on scripting engines (used to allow the user to "do" anything that wasnt hardcoded), now assuming the game maker he is using doesnt use a premade script system like python, javascript, vbscript, etc.. (in that case, good luck), assuming it uses a custom script system with source code included, these script systems are runtime interpreted and are designed to run at a decent speed on "average" computers. For such a language to achieve any decent speed on the GP32, it would have to have been designed from the ground up, to be used on the GP32.

so yes, you two can waste the next 33 or 34 years of your life making the game work perfectly and guess what...
YOU GET SUED!!!!!
ha ha ha ha ha
sucks to have wasted all that time dosn't it?

~Octavious

Back