Excited About Getting A Gp2x (since '06ish), Just Have Some Questi

7. I'm a paranoid guy, and I'm really cautious about stuff I own. I always walk around with my Sansa in my pocket. Any suggestions on security? (I know, I'm wierd )

I`m worrying about that too. We`ve got so "nice" people around here, that i`m afraid to put out mobile phone sometimes. Though its just T630, nothing special.

Cruel posted on Feb 22 2007 at 09:43 AM said:
7. I'm a paranoid guy, and I'm really cautious about stuff I own. I always walk around with my Sansa in my pocket. Any suggestions on security? (I know, I'm wierd )

I`m worrying about that too. We`ve got so "nice" people around here, that i`m afraid to put out mobile phone sometimes. Though its just T630, nothing special.
I think faraz is worrying for nothing... Canada is one of the safest countries in the world to live in - we don't have much in the way of random, violent crime going on around here. I'd probably be afraid to walk the streets of Moscow! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing i would suggest is you downgrade from firmware 3.0.0 to 2.0.0 then upgrade to 2.1.0 then 2.1.1 as the 3.0 firmware takes longer to boot and also the NAND is full of crap and the utilities menu is gone and replaced with a "help" menu which links to some films on the NAND which are of no help at all really. Even if you delete the films the menu is there and remains dead, linking to nothing.

The 3.0.0 firmware looks pretty, but thats all it has going for it right now. I downgraded mine using the method i mentioned above and i dont regret it in the slightest, infact id recommend everyone do it.

Yorper posted on Feb 22 2007 at 01:46 PM said:
NAND is full of crap

Yeah. The developers of Payback, Supertux, noiz2a etc. are really going to be encouraged by that comment. Thanks.

Payback is just a clone of GTA which is a pisspoor game at the best of times, wasnt impressed by payback at all. If you're into GTA then id imagine you'll find payback great. As for me, i lost interest in GTA back in 1998.

The only game on there that really stood out and was truely worth keeping was noiz2a which can easily be added back on, and it was added back. As for supertux, being as im a linux user ive played it to death already on my main system and it isnt a bad little game at all, but not worth raving on about.

But yes, on a whole the NAND is full of crap.

EDIT: Forgot to mention vektar, thats an ok little game, im actually tempted to buy it, should it ever be a paid download that is.

jimid2 posted on Feb 22 2007 at 06:39 AM said:
Cruel posted on Feb 22 2007 at 09:43 AM said:

I think faraz is worrying for nothing... Canada is one of the safest countries in the world to live in - we don't have much in the way of random, violent crime going on around here. I'd probably be afraid to walk the streets of Moscow! :lol:
I've been robbed at gunpoint before. This country isn't as nice as everyone thinks it is.

That's not to say it's totally ghetto here or anything, but there's enough violent crime that one needs to be concerned about such things.

Ravnos posted on Feb 22 2007 at 05:37 PM said:
I've been robbed at gunpoint before. This country isn't as nice as everyone thinks it is.

That's not to say it's totally ghetto here or anything, but there's enough violent crime that one needs to be concerned about such things.
Maybe if you live in Alberta... Funny what you get when you go all Right Wing and shit... :lol:

Seriously though, I've lived and travelled all over the place in my life... If you think Canada's dangerous, try living in Jamaica!

Right. Clearly Alberta is the only violent place in the country because we're so rednecked and backwards. The rest of Canada is a wonderful place where no child goes unfed, people fart rainbows, and unicorns drive taxicabs. :rolleyes:

And I never said Canada was the most dangerous place on the planet, but there is violent crime here, and he's not wrong to be concerned about it.

I feel I must to comment on this stuff.

Canada is way safer than US as a whole. Statistically, anecdotally, in every way. It's up to you do an assessment - do people tend to snatch items or mug people in situations where you might break out the GP2X? For example: I would feel quite comfortable using it on my local commuter train, but definitely not on certain other bus or train lines. This is in greater Boston.

markiej posted on Feb 23 2007 at 02:34 PM said:

Canada is way safer than US as a whole. Statistically, anecdotally, in every way. It's up to you do an assessment - do people tend to snatch items or mug people in situations where you might break out the GP2X? For example: I would feel quite comfortable using it on my local commuter train, but definitely not on certain other bus or train lines. This is in greater Boston.

I'd be cautious too, y'never know when the mooninites might come around to steal your gp2x. :D

Auritribe posted on Feb 23 2007 at 10:16 AM said:

I'd be cautious too, y'never know when the mooninites might come around to steal your gp2x. :D
I want one of those signs so-o-o-o bad.

Auritribe posted on Feb 23 2007 at 03:16 PM said:

The only thing worse than Mooninites is the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future.

EDIT: Beats of Rage has an assload of mods in the GP32 section of the file archive. Do those work with the 2x version as well?

jimid2 posted on Feb 21 2007 at 12:46 PM said:
Quake is very good (but dark!)
Eh? no it's not (dark that is). Just change the brightness in Quake (by default it's probably as low as it can get) and it should look perfect.

Faraz Parsa posted on Feb 23 2007 at 05:11 PM said:
Auritribe posted on Feb 23 2007 at 03:16 PM said:

The only thing worse than Mooninites is the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future.

EDIT: Beats of Rage has an assload of mods in the GP32 section of the file archive. Do those work with the 2x version as well?

Depends on how BoR is handled on the GP32 and GP2X. All the versions I've looked into use the same files(.PAK, I believe), so if the GP32 and GP2X versions are the same way(as opposed to having to convert them), they should work fine.

And I myself have a minor question. Does 2.1.1 boot any faster than 2.0?

I can confirm that BOR packs from the GP32 archive work on the GP2X. I got the Asterix pack from there and it works just fine.

As for 2.1.1 boot times, I didn't notice an improvement, however 2.1.0 greatly improves SD read times over 2.0.0, which betters many apps that read from large files.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Feb 24 2007 at 11:26 PM said:
I can confirm that BOR packs from the GP32 archive work on the GP2X. I got the Asterix pack from there and it works just fine.

As for 2.1.1 boot times, I didn't notice an improvement, however 2.1.0 greatly improves SD read times over 2.0.0, which betters many apps that read from large files.

- Alex

Well then, upgrade time! That's the sort of thing I need, as I imagine it helps Neo Geo.

Alex. posted on Feb 25 2007 at 07:26 AM said:

- Alex
That's great then, 'cuz I see an AvP mod... :p

Back