Release Enhanced PSX graphics?

Tyler Durden

Still Fresh
Hello all,
This is my first post, however I've been watching the forums a while now and am eagerly anticipating my Pandora. I just wanted to post this old ePSXe link and ask about the possibility of enhanced graphics with the Pandora PSX emulator. I’m aware that emulation on the Pandora will not compare to a high end computer running the pc emulator, however if the later revisions of the Pandora emulator run at more than standard fps then some enhancement may eventually be possible right? I’m perfectly happy with even close to normal fps with little to no bugs, but it would be interesting to see what the Pandora is capable of.

Hi and welcome. :)

A timely question this is. The famous graphics plugin for ePSXe ("Pete's plugin") was recently open sourced (by the creator, Pete). I'm not sure if our PSX4pand devs (zodttd and Tinnus) have looked at it yet, but it's nice to know the potential is there for the future. That aside, I'm pretty sure Tinnus was already pulling off some nice rendering tricks anyway. I can't access the old screenshots while GP32X is down, but I remember a shot of Crash Bandicoot looking far better than you'd expect from PSX.

A bit vague, I know. To summarise though: good things are possible. ^_^

Yeah there was some nice screenshots posted (I think by Tinnus) of the test version of the graphics plugin running in OpenGLES2 with scale2x apllied to textures. It looked very very very nice indeed.
This was a good few months ago, so no doubt we'll get some nice enhanced GFX mode very quickly for PSX.

Ah, found something. I remembered I'd re-posted it on another forum.

Tinnus said:
psx4pandora will render to 640x480 (or more, depending on the game) and have options to scale by how much you want in either direction. Also there will be bilinear texture filtering (which honestly I can't see why Sony would overlook) and a Scale2x filter applied on the textures beforehand as well.

gleshot6xu8vw3.png

Excellent

Great news about Pete's Plugin. Wasn't aware of that. It will be nice if the pandora can boast that it runs emulation better than a 32-bit platform plays natively. Although mostly a credit to the emulator and plugin devs.

Back