GP2X Eclipse Ide

screetch

Still Fresh
have anyone tested the Eclipse IDE for dev'ing for the GP2x?

i've tried it myself and got good results BUT i had to use many manual tricks to get it work properly.
Any experience in using the managed Makefile type of project for building GP2x app's?

if not, interested by a tutorial on how to set up Eclipse for GP2x?

Yes, I have always developed for the gp2x using eclipse, but with a manual makefile.
I didn't do any kind of trick... it's all simple and easy.

lemon posted on Sep 18 2006 at 10:27 AM said:
Yes, I have always developed for the gp2x using eclipse, but with a manual makefile.
I didn't do any kind of trick... it's all simple and easy.

it's all as simple and easy as setting up a CodeBlocks devenv for example ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
eclipse is like a 1000lb fat chick. jEdit is like Elle McPhearson / Cindy Crawford...

use jEdit.

friends dont let friends use eclipse.

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 18 2006 at 05:07 PM said:
friends dont let friends use eclipse.
Unless friends share projects, use CVS, need to do alot of diffrences checks between projects, and resolve conflicts.

Ofcourse, that's just one of the reasons to use eclipse.

okay, you all vi, emacs, jedit or whatever users, this is not a talk about what's best. Eclipse CAN be set up to build GP2x games even if you think jEdit is better.

Daid posted on Sep 18 2006 at 11:16 AM said:
Unless friends share projects, use CVS, need to do alot of diffrences checks between projects, and resolve conflicts.

doh! i forgot eclipse was the only tool in the world that has revision control plugins and diff managemnt.
dang it.

you have completely and exactly demonstrated that jEdit is by far superior to Eclipse.

Or not.

ok now let the adults discuss about real things.

screetch posted on Sep 18 2006 at 12:29 PM said:
you have completely and exactly demonstrated that jEdit is by far superior to Eclipse.

I thought everyone knew that anyway? :p

ok now let the adults discuss about real things.

since your so chuffed with yourself for figuring out how to get eclips working, why dont you add that info to the gp2x dev wiki??

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 18 2006 at 06:16 PM said:
Daid posted on Sep 18 2006 at 11:16 AM said:

doh! i forgot eclipse was the only tool in the world that has revision control plugins and diff managemnt.
dang it.
Not to forget about refactoring, different Project Views, an excellent class browser, superior debugging...but well...only lazy people use that anyways.

Well, everyone knows that there's nothink like vi. But this thread talks about doing thing using eclipse, not if eclipse is better than / worse than anything.

Both eclipse and jedit are horrible for some things, and the cause is the same... they both are written in java :)
Please stop fighting (or open another thread just for it, I can go to defent vi there!)

:ph34r:

I set Eclipse up to target the GP2X by manually editing the managed makefile project settings, but it'd be a pain to do that for every project. I posted here a month or two ago pointing to some QNX plugins that adapt the managed makefile support to handle cross-compiling, but they're commercial - something I read implied they're free for non-commercial use or something like that, but I couldn't work out how to actually download them without signing up for a full client account on their website.

If you know Java it's probably not that hard to implement this stuff anyway - I've seen at least one plugin provided for a particular embedded system to get the managed makefile system to use the right compiler etc. I probably mentioned it in my earlier thread.

Remote debugging is most interesting here I think - you could probably get it to work by pointing Eclipse at a GP2X-targetted gdb and somehow inserting the right commands to connect to the target, but again it would be nice if it was integrated. There's an immature project to add remote target support to Eclipse, ranging from syncing executables and data files to launching and debugging on the target, but it doesn't seem to be very mature at this point and it feels a bit unsuited to embedded targets (I think the target-side program is a Perl script...). I guess they're mostly testing on fully fledged Linux PCs.

as for debugging i've posted on http://archive.gp2x.de a GDB version built on Windows to target the GP2x, and a gdbserver that can be launched on the gp2x. Now Eclipse can effectively debug Gp2x applications, but the deployment and start of gdbserver has to be done manually, i was looking for this kind of trick when posting here.

I've also made a set of makefiles that can handle C/C++ project (even quite complex projects) without writing the rules, and you can target either a linux box, a win32 box or the gp2x. But i have to add a "deploy" target to this makefile to transfer the files to the gp2x, and even then i have to manually start gdbserver.

No better recipe for remote debugging?

Eclipse's remote target management is based around using ftp, ssh, or a custom daemon to copy files to the target, launch programs, etc. As I said, it's rather immature at the moment, and the custom daemon is not trivial to get running (I crosscompiled an SSH server instead...). Overall I gave up on it, though - I'm not interested enough in getting it working to bother learning Java in order to do it. :)

Ignoring the Eclipse RDP project completely, you could probably make a plugin to handle the launch via SSH - provided you've already launched the SSH server of course. You could use "expect" to do the same via telnet protocol but it's not as trivial. It's a shame gdbserver can't run in a daemon mode itself, allowing the remote gdb to specify the program to load and launch. I guess this is why the Eclipse project uses a custom daemon.

Personally I just use rsync to copy my files across, and the standard telnet interface in a separate window to launch the app. I usually just run it, only using gdbserver if I'm actually debugging. My telnet session tends to die when the remote gdb quits, which is somewhat awkward, not sure why (or how) it does that though.

(An interesting point about the QNX plugin for Eclipse is that it claims to have support for launching and debugging at the kernel level via JTAG... could be useful if we can get a free copy.)

I put some notes on using gdb and gdbserver on the wiki too, feel free to add to them if you think it would help. It's currently pointing at a precompiled gdb build I'm hosting myself but maybe it should point at the archive instead.

Getting gdbserver to support threads properly is tricky in statically linked programs, does yours support this? You need to build libthread_db statically, then gdbserver's configure should detect it and use it; then you can only debug programs linked against exactly the same build of the threading libraries. I was looking at getting the Open2x build scripts to handle this but got distracted.

If you're interested in any of the servers etc I've successfully built/ported for the gp2x, they're mostly on my web page here: http://www.glost.eclipse.co.uk/gfoot/gp2x/

Back