Dvd-r Or Dvd+r, Its So Cinfusing

pantera6

Ruler of good and evil, then i make them fight tog
Website
Visit site
I want to burn a few DVD'sand went onto amazon to find some blank DVD's and i find theres two different types, whats the difference? which one do so they work in a DVD player???
thanks

There were two different standards when DVDrs first starting coming out. If your player plays burned disks, it will most likely play both kinds. The real problem is which ones your burner supports. (mine burns dvd-r only). A lot of newer burners will burn either type.

If it's your first time, buy both and in various makes and brands. My DVD player will accept DVD-Rs, but seems to prefer DVD+Rs, as several different makes of -R's randomly stutter, whilst +R's don't.

Oh, and don't write them at higher than 4x, because a lot of players don't like the higher speeds and show it by struggling to read the disk.

I have found out that Sony DVD-R work great! Real cheap Fujifilm DVD+R not so great. I wish sony sold 100 DVDs for 17 dollars... I bought the fujifilm DVDs for cheap and burned DVDs. When I later tried to access them I found out that they were all messed up. So, I thought my burner was going. Now I use the Sony ones and they burn great. So, I guess buy quality over quanity.

Some cheaper DVD's wont have as many successful burns at high speed as higher quality ones would. In all my time i've only had 3 corrupted CDs/DVDs and they wre all cheap ones.

History Lesson.

When DVD writers were introduced, the media they used was DVD-R, pronounced DVD dash R. A new format was introduced which had better error correction, and they had a brain wave of calling it DVD+R which made the dash R look more like a minus R. Genius marketing there.

Anyway, the practical upshot is that the +R format is more stable with better error correction, but not all DVD players support DVD+R. Mind you this is changing, I don't think you can buy a new DVD player that doesn't support both formats these days.

I would go with +R.

cool stuff, thanks guys.
ps sorry for all the spelling errors lol. I really need to start reading over what i write (cinfusing, haha) im actually good at spelling english, honest. Must be the whole living in france for most of my life thing

I always thought DVD+R was released by Philips with very few advantages over DVD-R simply due to that fact that Philips have always had royalty payments from CD-R's, but they were missed out of the loop totally with DVD-R, and so brought out there own format called DVD+R.

Like this thread, the two formats do nothing but confuse people, but of course all the companies involved want to make money, so neither is going to drop there format. They are now constantly battling for higher formats like the high-density DVDs (25gb I think).

The higher density formats annoy me, since they never really bothered to make the Double-density 8GB DVDs affordable to consumers... the drives to burn them quickly went dirt cheap, but they were too concerned with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and what not to make the discs fall below $10 a pop.

+R's do tend to be slightly more reliable in my experience, and lets face it... whether you use +R or -R you will be paying a royalty fee to someone.

Back