Dosbox 0.65

bOingball

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I've been compiling the latest CVS version of dosbox 0.65 as the orignal one available seems to just give me a black screen on my gp2x mk II

I finally got the CVS version to compile and it now does work on my gp2x (games actually now start) but it seems that the input does not work.

I'm reusing the code from the orignal port which had the code as this...

Code:
		case SDL_JOYBUTTONDOWN:
		case SDL_JOYBUTTONUP:
		jpr(("SDL_JOYBUTTONxx which=%d button=%d\n", event.jbutton.which, event.jbutton.button));
				   /*
					we're going to do a real ugly hack for the GP2X here...
					 we get the button events for 19 buttons on stick 0
					 so we're going to turn them into key events for lowercase letters
					 starting with 'a' (scancode 97)
				   */
				   {
					  int tmp_button = event.jbutton.button;
					  if (event.type == SDL_JOYBUTTONDOWN)
					  {
						 event.type = SDL_KEYDOWN;
						 event.key.state = SDL_PRESSED;
					  }
					  else
					  {
						 event.type = SDL_KEYUP;
						 event.key.state = SDL_RELEASED;
					  }
					  event.key.keysym.scancode = 0; // hope no one looks
					  event.key.keysym.sym = (SDLKey)(97 + tmp_button);
					  event.key.keysym.mod = KMOD_NONE;
					  event.key.keysym.unicode = 0; // again, hope nobody looks
				   }
				   // and fall through to...

default:
			void MAPPER_CheckEvent(SDL_Event * event);
			MAPPER_CheckEvent(&event);
		}

The init code in dosbox looks like this

Code:
( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_AUDIO|SDL_INIT_VIDEO|SDL_INIT_TIMER|SDL_INIT_CDROM
		|SDL_INIT_NOPARACHUTE|SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK) < 0 ) E_Exit("Can't init SDL %s",SDL_GetError());
SDL_JoystickOpen(0);

I added the SDL_JoystickOpen(0); as that was in the wiki document but I don't know if it's needed.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this?

I'm guessing it must have worked in the orignal version.

I don't have a breakout box for my gp2x so it's a bit hard to debug. - it's a bit late now (4:13am - GMT) and I think I'll rest before working on this tomorrow again.

If I get the dosbox port to accept input I'll be releasing it for people who had the blackscreen problem with the orignal port.

Please note this is my first time messing with the gp2x so I'm pritty new at getting stuff to work ;)

Regards
bOing

Blah posted on Aug 13 2006 at 04:33 AM said:
Try installing the SDL Libraries, and running the port of Dosbox thats on there.

I've installed the SDL Libraries, and ran the orignal port, all I get is a black screen which crashed the gp2x. (a lot of people seem to get this on firmware 2.0.0)

Hence I thought I'll compile my own version (which does work but no input :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
Iam looking forward to your version, the other port wont work for me too (on any firmware...) Maybe you could upload your current progress, even its without input ^^

hackgrid posted on Aug 13 2006 at 03:25 PM said:
Iam looking forward to your version, the other port wont work for me too (on any firmware...) Maybe you could upload your current progress, even its without input ^^

Hackgrid, I'll upload my progress soon if you really want, I just don't want to get slated for releasing a version that does not accept key inputs. :(

I'm going to give it another bash tomorrow night to see if I can get it accepting something.

I was so happy when it worked as well, as I was thinking great I can play some games at last via. Dos :)

I'll keep you posted

Regards
bOing

bOingball posted on Aug 13 2006 at 10:29 PM said:
hackgrid posted on Aug 13 2006 at 03:25 PM said:

Hackgrid, I'll upload my progress soon if you really want, I just don't want to get slated for releasing a version that does not accept key inputs. :(

I'm going to give it another bash tomorrow night to see if I can get it accepting something.

I was so happy when it worked as well, as I was thinking great I can play some games at last via. Dos :)

I'll keep you posted

Regards
bOing

Well I redone my code using the stable 0.65 build and I'm glad to say I now have INPUT!!!!

woohoo!, I've got a doctors appointment this afternoon so I don't know what time I'll get to package this up and release it but this is a start at least.

I don't know if the Sound is working now as I did know my compile was huffin about no SDLsound lib but I'll work on that in due time.

I just tried Centerped 1983 DOS game and it did have sound but could be using the PC speaker emulation, but then again maybe not. ;)

Cheers all,

expect a release from bOingball soon.

Correction sound is working as well, I changed the sound varible to sb16 and it all kicked off with the 8088_cor demo, it's running about half speed on that demo but does work :)

Release will be hopfully tonight when I get back.

Regards

bOing

Sorry didn't get round to get a release done, I'm just getting some testing done on the 0.65 options (I'm at work today so it's impossible to test my program here :eek:()

I'm hopeing for a release by 10pm GMT tonight.

I'll post it in the news section.

Regards
bOing

Back