Doom GP32 built

MrT

Although I am not a developer one of my earlier jobs was porting software between various flavours of Unix; Sun, HP-UX, Ibm-Bull (AIX) etc, so I thought that i'd have a look at the Doom port.

I used Rico's devkit bundle and with a few tweaks and twists got it to build...... (great work Rico)

Unfortunately, when I run the resultant file it starts to load but then fails when trying to initialise the sound, beeps but then resets the GP32

Has anyone else had similar experiences??

Maybe this is why Craig was looking at plonking in the Heretic sound source into this code stream?

still I'll keep plugging away

MrT

Thanks for the update anyway, I was wondering why someone hadn't compiled the source code and released the file by now, I wish someone would release a version with the buggy sound code removed, it does have working save game support after all, which is something new, sound could be sorted out later.

MrT: My god! Few people have managed to get it to work. The author left it in a horrible state (at least he left it!). The reason it crashes, is because the sound code is totally b0rked, buggy, non-working, whatever. If you disable it, it should run fine, but I make no promises. I would just comment out the sound call.

Out of interest how did you get the source to compile? I'd like to work on the sound using CHN's ring code...

- Rico

Hi Rico

Here's what I did from memory

Copied the doom code into the devkitadv dir that I unzipped from you, into a dir named code

c:\devkitadv\code

copied the file C:\devkitadv\code\YouWillAlsoNeed\make2.exe somewhere on the PATH

made the following file directory

C:\devkitadv\code\GPSDK\gplibgcc

copied the libs from C:\devkitadv\arm-agb-elf\lib\*.lib into C:\devkitadv\code\GPSDK\gplibgcc (There is some generated code which seemed to use this directory and these files so this seemed the quickest way.

renamed each library by removing the lib part of their names

so libgpfont.a becomes gpfont.a

Tweaked the make file as follows

line 306 # del pmdoom.gxb - commented out
line 309 # C:/gp32/bin/b2fxe -t 'Doom' -a 'Tom Forsyth' pmdoom.gxb pmdoom.fxe - commented out

in a command prompt type in make > make.log

voila

I would post the resultant file or the contents of the code dir but I do not have webspace, butcould mail them if interested, it's about 3.5 Meg (from memory) zipped

Hope this helps, I'll look at the code to comment out the sound bits now and have another go

Cheers Rico

MrT

Looks like, i'll have to rebuild the pre-processed stuff too, as the dodgy sound code has already been linked in.

Now the problem that most of the other builders have had, missing code

so far the following header files are gone

gp32libs.h
and
gp32stdio.h

These are not included in the devkit so must be toms own files that he neglected to include in the source

back to the drawing board then!!

MrT :(

Here are more bits of missing code:

c:\devkitadv\code\PmDoomSound\src\wadread.c
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\Gpstdlib.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\Gpcomm.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\Gpdef.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\gpFont.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\gpgraphic.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\Gpmem.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\Gpmm.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\Gpnetlib.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\Gpos_def.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\gpsockdef.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\Gpstdio.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\gp32libs.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gpinclude\gp32stdio.h
C:\devkitadv\code\Gpsdk\gplibgcc\vsprintf.c

There may be more which will not become apparent until this lot is in place.........

Bit sad really, unlikely to see a port of Doom without this little lot

Shall have to see if Tom Still has the FULL source

MrT

I've downloaded the amateur dev kit(s) from various sites as well as Rico's excellent devkit bundle, and the missing files were not in any of them, unless they're from the Professional version? Anyone got the pro version who can confirm / deny this?

MrT

Back