Does 1.4 Have A Reliable Usb Connection???

Dingo_aus

Website
www.users.on.net
Ok, this is really starting to get to me.

I just want to be able to transfer a file to my GP2X via the USB cable.

(I have an SD reader but sneaker-netting during development is starting to make me want to dev for other platforms frankly)

So USB file transfers where 99% under 1.2.1. I had no problems (but 50% of movies didn't work). So I upgraded to 1.4 and now movies are great - but USB is borked.

Under windows, I can start a bash shell and use hyperterminal to send a file the GP2X (using lrz in Ymodem receive mode and hypterterminal sending in Xmodem). But if I try to send another file after that I can't. (looks like some buffer isn't flusched or something.

Anyway this means I have to restart to send another file over serial or sneakernet an SD card (and restart to remount the SD card anyway - because I'm too fearful of borking mount commands as root and borking the whole f'ing thing).

I don't want to have to touch firmware to fix this as I'm in Australia and everywhere is expensive to ship to get a working firmware back if I stuff it up.

So what software/appraoch should I try next? Is there something better than lrz for the GP2X or something like scp.

No idea.

I can confirm my experience that using the 1.4 firmware killed my USB. I just never really thought about it because I rely on my SD card anyway.

I suppose you could try downgrading your firmware, if you don't mind dodgy video. Otherwise, it is alleged that a new firmware will debut at the end of April, which may or may not address this problem and/or create new ones.

Personally I'm keen to see what GPH has come up with. I'm gonna wait to hear from others though, 'cos I'm loving my cramfs.

Yeah - I've got a work around at the moment.

I turned usb 2.0 off in BIOS and now USBMON doesn't reboot my machine.

Hence I can run usbmon first and then the GP2X is hunky-dorey. I never had to do this with 1.2.1.

As for new firmware - what's the bet it'll fix the battery light and kill usb and video? :)

The g_ether driver seems to work a charm in WindowsXP, shame it dies in the arse on Linux and Mac. It will be included as an option in Open2X, as its much faster and more reliable than serial or storage.

well i just upgraded to 1.4.0 and i had the same problem usb connection died. However it seems if i first run usbmonitor and then goto the usb connection screen my windows xp does recognize the gp2x :D

Back