Do I get one?

ChriX

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Discovered the GP32 console last night, from what I have seen it looks amazing and I want one. I am in the UK and would like to know the best place to get one from, preferably one with a backlight, so if anyone could link me to some places that would be great.

I've seen something called Windups running on it that looks like windows, does the thing actually have an operating system that you can change then?

I'm under the impression that I can watch movies, play games, listen to music, and do virtually anything on the GP32 seeing as it is open source - would I be dissapointed if I bought one while under this impression?

If there's a site where I can read the basics can someone please point me to it!

This seems to be the best message board to be a member of, hope i'm right!

Yo to all by the way :)

Cheers

As long as you aren't under the illusion that you'll get full speed GBA emu in the near future, or that you've already got full speed SNES and Genesis emu at the moment (although hoping to in the near-ish future :) ), then you won't be disappointed. Just remember you will have to buy Moviepark separately to watch films etc.

Best place to buy if you're in the UK is prolly GBAX, although they'll probably be swamped with orders atm on account of the FHM and GamesTM reviews of the thing.

Oh - and its not exactly open source entirely; its an open SDK - which means anyone can dev for it. But not all emus/games have the source released.

Well that sounds pretty good, just gotta make sure I get one with some form of a light inside it, whether it be front or back lit. Should be ordering one in a week or so then (as long as I don't find a reason not to :D).

How much is Moviepark? Also looking to watch music videos etc.

As I mentioned in a different thread, I do NOT have lit unit, so I can't vouch for the quality. But I've heard many more good remarks than bad ones on this forum... the worst I've heard is 1) occasional dust specks (I've heard the GBASP has 'em often too) and 2) the only "bulge" isn't the screen, but rather the plastic on the outside seems to sit out a bit farther (apparently the way they put the light on (between the plastic and the screen) it has to?).

Just remember that everything has an occasional screwup and you hear about the bad things, not the good things. So the fact that 99% of the people have good things to say (when most people who are happy don't talk about it) seems to indicate that the unit is good.

My GP 32 FLU were not so good:
Particules into the screen, the switch for the light break 2 days after i get i (repaired), and after a fall the light don't work (will be repaired soon) :(

My backlit GP32 from www.gbax.com cost me exactly £202.72 with special delivery (next day).*** - see "EDIT" (below)

I have a few bumps on the [lastic shete over my screen, but you can't see them when playing the thing,

As for dust particles, I odnt know what you're going on about! Haven't had any as far as I'm aware.

The thing is hard to get working at first, but once you're sorted, its all very easy... you just need to downlaod alot. I reccomend GPFileManager - it has a built in image and text viewer, and to buy Moviepark (the video watcing program, you'll need a credit card (my solo won't work :angry: )

Like I say though, once you've got started, its easy as pie. There's always people on these forums willing to help! :D

Good Luck!

EDIT: I also got the 128MB SmartMedia Card (which will last you a while - remember you can always back up your stuff onto our PC) which cost me £40. You can find them cheaper elsewhere, but I wanted mine as a whoel package. Well, that, and I didn'tr ealsie I could get them for half the price elsewere... <_<

damn you can get 2 128mb cards for about half that amount. If you simply must have 256mb of storage space I would get 2 128mb cards it seems like it will be less expensive and you will be sure they will work. However I would just start out with one 128mb card you would be supprized at how many games you can fit on one card. I know you mentioned that you will be playing movies on it which I must add are very watchable and you won't be dissapointed with. So if that is the case or if you are going to use it as an mp3 player you might want the second 128mb smc. Movies must be recompressed which really is not a big deal and is accutally a good thing because you end up with about a 25mb file for an entire episode of the simpsons or whatever you want to watch that is in a form that is acctually very watchable.

I have a friend who got a GBASP, and it was shoddy as hell...

However, another friends gbasp is fine.

Back