Diffs between GP32 Pinball Dreams and the Original

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Okay... I played Pinball Dreams a LOT on an Amiga.
Now I'm playing it a LOT on the GP32... I found some differences.
Would be interesting to know, if the developers had to find out the rules for the tables by themselves (looks like it in my opinion...)

One difference all the tables have:
When you get the bonus 2x, 4x, etc. the lights flash for a few seconds. During that time, you can't
reswitch one of those lights on. You can do that in the original game :)

Ignition:
No difference found yet - works perfect.

Steel Wheel:
Original: When you shoot any ramp right after you've shot some ramp, you'll get 1.000.000 points.
GP32: You have to shoot the SAME ramp again to get the 1.000.000 points. But you have slightly more time
to do that.

Beat Box:
I'm not sure, but I think, when you hit the "Europe" and the "USA" switch on the original and shoot
the ramp afterwards, your chart ranking goes up for both.
On the GP32 it only goes up for the last switch you hit.

Nightmare:
There is the most annoying difference:
You see the lights with XII, XI, X, IX, etc.? They are right before the left and the right lamp.
And one of these lights is always flashing.
Now, at the original, when you send your ball right across the ramp which is on the side, where
the light is flashing at the moment, the flashing light goes on and the next light on the other side
starts flashing. By shooting the left and the right ramp time after time, you'll build up the time until it
is midnight. This, in my opinion, makes sense. It's not too hard to reach midnight and shooting the ramp
where the light flashes it pretty straightforward.

And here is how this is handled on the GP32:
The GP32 doesn't care which ramp you shoot. The only way to build up the time until midnight is to shoot
any ramp right after you shot a ramp.... so it's pretty hard to reach midnight...

So...
has anybody found more differences?

EvilDragon posted on Apr 20 2003 said:
Nightmare:
There is the most annoying difference:
You see the lights with XII, XI, X, IX, etc.? They are right before the left and the right lamp.
And one of these lights is always flashing.
Now, at the original, when you send your ball right across the ramp which is on the side, where
the light is flashing at the moment, the flashing light goes on and the next light on the other side
starts flashing. By shooting the left and the right ramp time after time, you'll build up the time until it
is midnight. This, in my opinion, makes sense. It's not too hard to reach midnight and shooting the ramp
where the light flashes it pretty straightforward.

And here is how this is handled on the GP32:
The GP32 doesn't care which ramp you shoot. The only way to build up the time until midnight is to shoot
any ramp right after you shot a ramp.... so it's pretty hard to reach midnight...
I think you'll find that on the Nightmare table, you actually need to hit the opposite ramp to the one that's flashing. I can't remember if that's how the original did it (it's too long ago!), but it's not too hard to do. It makes more sense to hit the flashing ramp though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Beat Box does work properly. I just gave it a quick test - I hit both Europe & USA before going up the ramp and my chart position went up on both accordingly. :)

Back