Different Emotion For Different Systems

itsme

One thing that I noticed at E3 was that while playing/watching someone playing PS3, peoples were going wow being serious and totally immersed. While peoples were playing Wii games, I saw many laughing, making fun of themselves by making silly poses and gestures and having casual fun. That proved the point that those two consoles are headed to two completely opposite directions, I thought.

Your right
But thats what nintendo wanted, show how fun the machine was - cheap price and makes you laugh.
Sony on the other hand threw hot curry into peoples faces saying its the best in the world

I don't know, look at the trailers for Metroid Prime 3 and Red Steel (even Zelda). The direct correlation between your hand movements and the movement of the player character would probably immerse you into the game even more. It's all about whether your playing alone or not. Those playing with other people around would obviously ham it up a bit, have fun etc. But as a solo experience, I think it's even more conductive to 'immersive' gameplay than the PS3.

I dunno, when I'm playing Time Crisis 3 with the GunCon I don't feel any more immersed than I do playing, say, Pro Evo 5 with a regular pad.

I agree about the solo/multiplayer aspect though, it's the same deal with Eyetoy and Singstar. Games like that actively encourage you to mess around and show off.

An amazing storyline is all I need to become immersed in a game. In those games (Shenmue, Indigo Prophecy, Skies of Arcadia...) I don't even notice the controller (since I'm so familiar with traditional controllers after all these years) , so I can focus entirely on what's happening in the game.

I like the Wii and its controller, but I think it will prevent me from being so drawn to a game because, unless it's implemented very well, I'll be thinking about controls as much as I will be the story. Less immersive, in my opinion, but surely a lot of fun.

Back