Developpement Environnement Under Linux : Like Maemo?

Arialia said:
In searching informations about Maemo i found this tutorial :
http://maemo.org/development/documentation...0_tutorial.html

I think we could do same thing : using Zephyr for simulate the screen of Pandora no ?

What do you think about that ?

[Edit]

it is not Zephyr but Xephyr :D sorry

Xephyr is a user-space X server. This means in the maemo / scratchbox development environment, you can run your code built for x86 or ARM (via QEMU) and it renders to a 'remote' X server on the same box.

This type of environment does not work with code that writes to framebuffer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Qemu itself can hook up to a framebuffer that resides on the host system. If that isn't available( such as on Ubuntu), you can make Qemu run to a vnc terminal and have the vnc terminal conneced to the directFB buffer,etc.

pupnik said:
Arialia said:

I think we could do same thing : using Zephyr for simulate the screen of Pandora no ?

[Edit]

Xephyr is a user-space X server. This means in the maemo / scratchbox development environment, you can run your code built for x86 or ARM (via QEMU) and it renders to a 'remote' X server on the same box.

what the problem if you develop with SDL and SFML which supports both X and framebuffer ?

and in fact for final release i think it will be great using OpenVG for 2D and OpenGL ES
with a port of SDL and SFML for that :rolleyes:

and you must recompile and adjust for Pandora in final so .....

But in Maemo tutorial the guy use a special version of Xephyr which use GL for rescaling to have real size of target screen but with the good resolution

This version is in source of Xserver now , the compilation is describe here but it has so many dependencies i don't success yet in compilation :huh:

Ok it compile now

if you want compile code with jhbuild don't install the package debian, it is missing a file 'install-check'

install jhbuild as this :

svn co svn://svn.gnome.org/svn/jhbuild/trunk jhbuild
cd jhbuild
./autogen.sh
make install

first i compile xserver with jhbuild

after this i'll try to compile the Xephyr scaling .... ;)

pupnik said:
Arialia said:

[Edit]

There are possibly two ways to get this work.
One is to make qemu-system-arm support omap3/pandora, and provide a virtually working WVGA screen and a touchpanel, like qemu n800 port I am using. It must be a tough work.
Another is to setup a user space arm binary executable environment base on kernel binfmt support, then execute Pandora user space binary except X server directly in a chroot on x86 box, forward the display to a nested X server on host. It seems also a tough work to get qemu-arm support armv7 instruction but maybe less tough than the above approach .

Back