Compiling On The Pandora

torpor said:
Oh for sure the Touchbook keyboard is crap for development as well, I'd go crazy having to edit C++ code on it for longer than 20 minutes .. but this thread is about "compiling" onboard, not "editing"/"doing all development" onboard. Not necessary, I think, to edit on the Pandora .. unless someone comes up with a language tailored just for the Pandora keyboard!!?? Python!?

Fair point on what this thread is about, but the reason for the thread was due to having trouble cross compiling. Which could include development etc.

I even started to look into the best editor to use on the Pandora a while ago, there seems to be a couple candidates out there :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Na-Noo said:
torpor said:
Oh for sure the Touchbook keyboard is crap for development as well, I'd go crazy having to edit C++ code on it for longer than 20 minutes .. but this thread is about "compiling" onboard, not "editing"/"doing all development" onboard. Not necessary, I think, to edit on the Pandora .. unless someone comes up with a language tailored just for the Pandora keyboard!!?? Python!?

Fair point on what this thread is about, but the reason for the thread was due to having trouble cross compiling. Which could include development etc.

I even started to look into the best editor to use on the Pandora a while ago, there seems to be a couple candidates out there :)
LOLpython perhaps?

Onboard compiling and onboard programming are two entirely different issues. Most of the stuff I compiled on my Zaurus was not coded by me, so the keyboard was not a problem.

Sometimes downloading and compiling something directly on the Pandora will be far faster than going to your dev machine, downloading, compiling, then transferring to the Pandora - especially if you happen to be away from your dev machine.

pelrun said:
Onboard compiling and onboard programming are two entirely different issues. Most of the stuff I compiled on my Zaurus was not coded by me, so the keyboard was not a problem.

Sometimes downloading and compiling something directly on the Pandora will be far faster than going to your dev machine, downloading, compiling, then transferring to the Pandora - especially if you happen to be away from your dev machine.

Yes I agree with you, but the reason he wanted to know about compiling on the Pandora was because he was having problems cross compiling. :D

Yes, you can compile on the Pandora.
Can even develop on the Pandora (although not something I'd recommend unless it's something simple)
Can use it to do ongoing development (which is the way I'm usually going to be using it, minor development on the go, tracing through code, and even compiling, etc)
Cross compiling doesn't have any easily accessible guides currently but will change once Pandora is released.

All this open flexibility is amazing isn't it, getting me all hyped again :lol:

I wonder if it is possible to setup distcc on a x86 linux server to crosscompile for the pandora.

So one would still do the "svn clone ...; make" on the pandore but the linux server doing most of the compiling.

macke - yes you absolutely can do this. Would be fun too, since I've got a multi-core multi-gigabyte box at home designed just for this use .. ;)

torpor said:
macke - yes you absolutely can do this. Would be fun too, since I've got a multi-core multi-gigabyte box at home designed just for this use .. ;)

Sweet!

macke said:
torpor said:

Sweet!

We (Neuvoo Devs) have already set up a HOWTO to get icecream (based on distcc code, but easier to configure) installed, enjoy!

http://neuvoo.org/wiki/index.php?title=Icecream

Back