Competition Play

pea

developer
Website
www.projectitis.com
Hi all,

Sorry if this sort of idea has been discussed previously. Just thinking of competition play on the gp32 and gp2x where we can all compete without any sort of wifi or other link up.

Of course there are always highscores.

But perhaps we (devs) should come up with a system of saving a ghost file for certain games, and then uploading this to a competition/game repository so that others can dowbload and play against these files.

It would only work for some games of course, but it would be cool to get some sort of standard for these.

Some would simply be some encoded highscore/name/level information.
Others (like time trial racing games) could contain a whole lap worth of information to enable a virtual representation (ghost) of that lap that you can compete against.

It would need to be encoded of course...

Thoughts?

There's not really a need for standards, provided you're not going to compare demos from one game against demos from another game (which makes no sense).

I could see some sort of standard ghost uploading website with a bunch of different sections for all the different games, but as for a standardized file format, that's not necessarily important. Saving a demo or ghost file would be different from game to game, and binding developers to a strict API might not be the best idea. Perhaps it could be as simple as just a standardized header to store the game information, time and some sort of checksum (to prevent hex editing).

I do like the concept of a central demo repository, though. Maybe with competitions and such for different games.

pea posted on Sep 16 2005 at 11:48 PM said:
Hi all,

Sorry if this sort of idea has been discussed previously. Just thinking of competition play on the gp32 and gp2x where we can all compete without any sort of wifi or other link up.

Of course there are always highscores.

But perhaps we (devs) should come up with a system of saving a ghost file for certain games, and then uploading this to a competition/game repository so that others can dowbload and play against these files.

It would only work for some games of course, but it would be cool to get some sort of standard for these.

Some would simply be some encoded highscore/name/level information.
Others (like time trial racing games) could contain a whole lap worth of information to enable a virtual representation (ghost) of that lap that you can compete against.

It would need to be encoded of course...

Thoughts?

Well, when I think of competition play I think of using the USB hook-up to play on the net against other people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, when I think of competition play I think of using the USB hook-up to play on the net against other people

I think its a good idea to have some sort of standardised scores table

although a standardised fie format wouldnt be neccessary unless you would be using the file across multiple programs

hooking up your gp2x to your computer to play online is a bit silly, you might as well just play computer games online

pea posted on Sep 21 2005 at 02:43 AM said:
Well, when I think of competition play I think of using the USB hook-up to play on the net against other people

I didn't mean between gp32s, I meant hooked up to PC- like Xbconnect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back