castaway beta 004 just wiped my smc

pairyhenis

Still Fresh
hi,i just tried to load emlyn hughes soccer(automation version) and it asked for the seccond disc and then froze solid. on a reboot of my gp32 it come up with smc is not inserted ect... and in pc link its telling me that my once full smc is not formated.oh well never mind...goes off to re-format smc.

Before you do, you should try teh SMC Recovery thing in the PC-Link bit of the firmware...
That is, go to PC-Link with no cable plugged in and press B... most likely its has a couple disk errors (happens frequently for me on Snes9x - turn on/off when saving or when its loading a rom... not a good idea).

Of course, my SMC has wiped itself a couple of times, but they're quite rare...

thanks for the tip but i've reformated it already!that will teach me to be so impatient.

What Automation disk is that? I'm going to try it as well and see if I get the same results.

pairyhenis posted on May 4 2003 said:
hi,i just tried to load emlyn hughes soccer(automation version) and it asked for the seccond disc and then froze solid. on a reboot of my gp32 it come up with smc is not inserted ect... and in pc link its telling me that my once full smc is not formated.oh well never mind...goes off to re-format smc.
Theres no way Castaway coudl've wiped your SMC. IT can onyl read/write files in the ATARIST directory; it doesn't even know how to chaneg directories ;)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i'll rephrase it.i was using castaway when for some reason my gp32 froze.when i turned it back on my smc had been wiped.hows that? ;) keep up the good work fella!

I had the same problem :( I ran Castaway (cant remember what game i ran) then it froze so i reset my gp32 and got the error 'SMC is not inserted or no game exists Press B to cancel' :unsure: so i tried the SMC Recovery program and it fixed 1 error, tried it again and got the same error. This cant be coincidence and i hope no one else has this problem cos ive lost all my save games especially for Phantasy Star :(

I've had no problems with the EMU so far - BUT a 32mb SMC was deleted a few months back, I thought it was due to crappy batteries. So I changed them and I've not had a problem since.

Skeezix,

A minor update, not only did that disk image erase my SMC, but it stained my clothes and made our water taste funny for a week as well.

Oh wait ... April Fool's Day has already passed.

I loaded the image, got to the disk swap thing and couldn't go forth. No other problems encountered.

my clothes taste funny and my water is stained!.this is not a battery problem as i'm plugged in to the mains.i'm not trying to create problems just reporting a problem in the hope that it helps.as far as i know its called feedback.if your going to take the piss at least use some imagination.

pairyhenis posted on May 4 2003 said:
my clothes taste funny and my water is stained!.this is not a battery problem as i'm plugged in to the mains.i'm not trying to create problems just reporting a problem in the hope that it helps.as far as i know its called feedback.if your going to take the piss at least use some imagination.
S'alright; feedback good. I dont' think it was Castaway related, but its good to know; if we see a pattern forming, it coudl be very important!

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be a relatively rare bug used in the libraries for writing to the SMC, perhaps, since its happened to me on several occasions, but not yet on Castaway - sorta. Snes9x shoves up a load of errors if you turn off during a write that stop it being recognised, but that's predictable. On the other hand, I was playing SMS32 of all things (Phantasy Star Gaiden, I think) when mine was unformatted.
I have had one error from Castaway where the GP32 wouldn't recognise the card (this is back with release 3, and on a disk that image that works fine now - but can't remember which one; probably a Pompey Pirates early number), but thankfully I've got an SMC reader which did - interestingly there was a directory in the root called ".trash" - which given the 8.3 format limitations could have had something to do with it. I didn't try; no saves, so I just re-formatted, but it could be something to do with that. I think there was some other thing too, but can't remember what.

Back