Built-in Wifi?

Megatog615

Has anyone here successfully integrated a wifi chip into their GP2X, by means like removing a USB wifi adapter from its casing and soldering it to the USB host on the motherboard?

If not, there's a project for somebody.

Well I wanted to know if anyone has done it before frying my GP2X. If someone else has done it, that means it's possible, which is the reason for this thread.

Megatog615 said:
Well I wanted to know if anyone has done it before frying my GP2X. If someone else has done it, that means it's possible, which is the reason for this thread.
Let's just say the most impressive mods have involved people not afraid to fry their GP2X (and actually that applies to other things as well). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's doable. All you need is the correct chipset and drivers. I'd do that if i could find the chipset compatible with the drivers those ported to GP2X.

Megatog615 said:
Has anyone here successfully integrated a wifi chip into their GP2X, by means like removing a USB wifi adapter from its casing and soldering it to the USB host on the motherboard?

The main problem with Wifi is the power supply, isn't it? If you still need an external power supply to your internal wifi chipset, I don't think this hack makes sense.

hal9000 said:
Megatog615 said:

The main problem with Wifi is the power supply, isn't it? If you still need an external power supply to your internal wifi chipset, I don't think this hack makes sense.

You don't need external power, you can take 5V from another output of the GP2X and use some capacitors:
Here's a link:
http://spritesmods.com/?art=gp2xusb
(I have done this and it works)

So yes, this is possible, but the biggest problem is the little extra space you will have in the casing

gavie said:
You don't need external power, you can take 5V from another output of the GP2X and use some capacitors:
Here's a link:

So yes, this is possible, but the biggest problem is the little extra space you will have in the casing

This is really cool, even though it seems to be far beyond my soldering skills :(

So you have used it with a wifi dongle? How long do the batteries last?

I thought somebody had done it already, but I might be thinking of that GPS mod in gavies link.

hal9000 said:
This is really cool, even though it seems to be far beyond my soldering skills :(

So you have used it with a wifi dongle? How long do the batteries last?
Not too long, about an hour with the batteries I'm using.
Unless you turn USB host to off in the settings of course
But my usb connector got pretty hot after a while, I wouldn't recommend it, I'm using my second (not modded) gp2x most of the time..

gavie said:
hal9000 said:
Megatog615 said:

Here's a link:

That's amazing! However, the first part where you solder the wires to the tiny connectors would be too hard for me to do. I happen to have had a coffee in the last month or so :).

The point is to have wireless capability without anything sticking out the top(except maybe an antenna...), and to leave everything else useful. With an SDIO card you lose the ability to swap out sd cards.

Back