Brace Yourself For More Stupid Question..

Niku

Still Fresh
I'm running Sam & Max on my gp2x with audio but all the voices sound like alvin from the chipmunks ,wtf?

can i fix this?

weird, maybe try changing the Hz rate in the scummvm options? Or try another copy of Sam & Max...

Shikaku posted on Sep 21 2006 at 11:04 PM said:
Err... I think this might be a problem with his GP2X, either hardware or firmware wise...

What makes you think its a problem with the gp2x? I've had a bunch of problems that no one else seems to have even heard of so it would make sense.

I've reinstalled the 2.0 firmware, so i'm pretty sure its not that, how likely is it that its a hardware problem?

here are a few other things i've noticed:

DrMd does not run properly (runs too fast, again with squeaky sound, tho I thought that was just because it was running too quickly)

Picodrive does run and is fine except for the sound quality which is not that great, I just figured that was the nature of the beast. At 44100Hz, mono or stereo, the sound is ok but comes out a little distorted, its better when the sound is low but at higher volumes it sounds a bit like the speakers are blown (It does this thru the gp2x speakers and headphones tho so i dont think this is the ase), a good example is when sonic in sonic 2, at the midpoint of the jump sound effect the sound goes all crackly. At other frequencies, e.g 22050hz, the sound is completely distorted.

I havent had any other problems so far, music and video seem to work fine, do youi think its worht returning the console?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using my latest version (check the thread in the Beta forum on this list, last few posts).

Here is a direct link to the Sept. 10th test build (I'll do another with the newest fixes over the next few days after I get the latest patch in the tracker).

Sound code got a lot of tweaks as has the whole port and there is a mis-mash of old builds about, some with chronic s**ty sound code in them ;).

DJWillis posted on Sep 22 2006 at 11:21 AM said:
Are you using my latest version (check the thread in the Beta forum on this list, last few posts).

Here is a direct link to the Sept. 10th test build (I'll do another with the newest fixes over the next few days after I get the latest patch in the tracker).

Sound code got a lot of tweaks as has the whole port and there is a mis-mash of old builds about, some with chronic s**ty sound code in them ;).

I tried this on my version of sam and max the sound was even more screwed up :-(, so no joy there. I know this game works fine with sound on the pc vesion of ScummVM so I guess it should be ok on the gp2x.

I dont know if it makes any diffeence, but on the other version of scummvm I used I had sound, but really squeaky, whereas on this version (9/10 testbuild) the speech didnt work and the sound was all corrupted, but still squeaky (i think).

have you tried compressing the sounds? its worth a try and wouldn't make sense to me but im sure crazier things have worked.

Ok, I'm increasingly starting to think that something is up with my gp2x, I tried the mame emulator available on this site and the sound is screwed up on that too. Dammit :angry:

Has anyone else had any sound issues with their gp2x, I know somethings up and its not just the nature of the beast cos I watched the demo on youtube of commando on mame and the sound was near perfect.

Is this a fault someone else has had? Maybe theres some simple settings change that I've missedas I'm a total noob. If anyone can help me out gimme a shout, but I think its time to get an exchange. :angry:

is this a common thing cause I just bought mine (hoping it gets delivered tommorow) and was wondering if I should expect any hardware failures. I got a MK2 cause I heard they had switched manufactures on the LCD and something else, just curious.

Lupin posted on Sep 23 2006 at 04:05 AM said:
is this a common thing cause I just bought mine (hoping it gets delivered tommorow) and was wondering if I should expect any hardware failures. I got a MK2 cause I heard they had switched manufactures on the LCD and something else, just curious.

First time we've seen this. Stop being paranoid...

i wasnt being paranoid I was asking a simple question. If i was paranoid I would be calling LikSang (well its SAT but w.e) and asking them their return policy and yelling stuff like "I cant belive a small company like GP Holdings would sell a product with such a known defect. Im returning it for another PSP and since my other one has 15 dead pixels.."

Woah, calm down everybody :D .

Lupin, this is a really rare problem, as far as I can tell its only me that has it :blink: its that rare (why do you think i keep asking people if i've missed something really simple and if I'm just being a pleb).

You'll also find some of the people here to be kinda testy in replying, i've read some posts complaining about rudeness, but I think its amusing, just dont get too carried away. :p anyway they've been a great help so far, so its all good.

Oh yeah I have flashed the os, it definitely went through every stage of the install so that should be ok.

I've contacted my supplier and I think once I get a reply an exchange will be the order of the day.

Niku posted on Sep 22 2006 at 09:09 PM said:
I tried this on my version of sam and max the sound was even more screwed up :-(, so no joy there. I know this game works fine with sound on the pc vesion of ScummVM so I guess it should be ok on the gp2x.

I dont know if it makes any diffeence, but on the other version of scummvm I used I had sound, but really squeaky, whereas on this version (9/10 testbuild) the speech didnt work and the sound was all corrupted, but still squeaky (i think).

:(

Well it does sound like you GP2X may be a bit messed up but to humor me do you want to post up a list of the files that make up your Sam and Max game, did you take them off your own floppies/CD? or get them elsewhere?

Something like a DIR with the file sizes would be very handy for me to help workout if it is ScummVM at fault.

It is also worth noting that not all the PC ScummVM sound formats are supported on the GP2X (yet), mostly that means FLAC compressed audio.

DJWillis posted on Sep 23 2006 at 11:52 PM said:
Niku posted on Sep 22 2006 at 09:09 PM said:

:(

Well it does sound like you GP2X may be a bit messed up but to humor me do you want to post up a list of the files that make up your Sam and Max game, did you take them off your own floppies/CD? or get them elsewhere?

Something like a DIR with the file sizes would be very handy for me to help workout if it is ScummVM at fault.

It is also worth noting that not all the PC ScummVM sound formats are supported on the GP2X (yet), mostly that means FLAC compressed audio.

THe version I'm using is one I found packaged on a torrent on mininova which included sam & max and the gp2x version of ScummVM, the sam and max folder is 187 meg and has 3 files:

monster.sou - 174.mb
samnmax.000 - 8.86kb
samnmax.001 - 13.1mb

the version fo scummvm is Release version: 0.9.0-CVS

the whole file tree is:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scummvms&m-->
---------------------font-->
-----------------------------english.fnt - 2kb
-----------------------------korean.fnt - 41.3kb
-----------------------------korean_g.fnt - 73.4kb
---------------------samnmax-->
------------------------------------(this contains the files mentioned above)
---------------------Sub-->
------------------------------(this contains a bunch of .dat files for different games, the sam and max .dat is 38kb)

Scummvm.gpe - 3.43mb
scummvm-dumb.gpe - 3.22mb

(sorry about the lines, cant figure out how to tab the text)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried both executables, both run and suffer the same problem, I also downloaded the latest version ov scummvm and that had completely distorted sound. just so you know whats going on I tried different settings to no noticeable effect (definitely no positive effect anyway) and both the music and speech sound like they're running too fast.

the whole lot came packaged as an all in one to run sam an max on the gp2x so I imagine whoever compiled it tested it, but I guess theres no way of knowing that for sure.

If you have any idea whats going on let me know.

Cheers :D

(I can put up a link to the torrent if thats any use, and if im allowed to by this forum)

Hmmm it looks like you have an uncompressed monster.sou.
I'm not surre if that would make a difference, but all my speach enabled games are either compressed to MP3 or OGG to save space, and they work fine.

Also don't post links to torrents... If you need to tell someone something, there is a PM feature.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 24 2006 at 10:46 AM said:
Hmmm it looks like you have an uncompressed monster.sou.
I'm not surre if that would make a difference, but all my speach enabled games are either compressed to MP3 or OGG to save space, and they work fine.

Also don't post links to torrents... If you need to tell someone something, there is a PM feature.

Yeah I wasnt sure about posting the torrent, thats why I said i could if required, but didnt.

cheers for the advice I'm compressing the monster.sou now to see if this works, I'll post a reply to let you all know if i have any success.

**update**

nope its still buggered, same problem on a nice mp3 compression. i'm gonna gt an exchange, if the new gp2 has the same problem then it'll prove that i'm the problem :) if not then I'll be a happy bunny.

Back