Booting Linux In 3 Seconds

Suspend to ram (sleep) will probably be much more practical.

After using sleep mode instead of shutting down for a couple of month or so my computer broke down. I'll save Pandora from that fate. :p

Well, you know, correlation is not causation and sleep mode is different from hibernating to the disk, in the latter the device is turned off physically and the contents of the RAM (which needs power to keep the stored data) are copied to non-volatile memory (HDDs, generally). When the OS boots up, it'll then load back the contents from the HDD to the RAM.

Hypomanic said:
After using sleep mode instead of shutting down for a couple of month or so my computer broke down. I'll save Pandora from that fate. :p
I assume you were using windows.

As far as I can tell, Linux doesn't have this isue. Its capable of up times measured in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too hope that sleep mode is better and faster to "boot".
This Warp2 thing is interesting from another point of view. It is stated it could use different images or somthing. So you can have one for Navigation, one for PDA, one for oyur wife and one for... you get the idea I guess? :)

So basically, you get multiple devices in one :)
Before you post now about a menu system to select different apps (which we will get :) by default), think about it, multiple boot images are a different thing! ;)

Hypomanic said:
It may have rained or snowed during that time, but that doesn't mean the rain or snow caused it to break. If using sleep mode caused computers to fail, especially only after a couple of months, it wouldn't be used. I keep my computer on 24/7 for years and it doesn't fail.

Be warned however, that a lot of pc's use a lot of power when "sleeping", and generally speaking, hibernation is better.

Chris

taltoris said:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5185504436.html

Interesting, no?

Somewhat so... Considering that someone got a 5 second COLD BOOT out of an eeePC with some moderate modifications and some intelligent work based off of a thorough BootChart study, I suspect that we could accomplish much the same thing with the Pandora. In fact, I may look into doing that shortly... ;)

Suspend (to ram) / sleep is probably more desireable, depending on the amount of power the Pandora sucks out of the battery during sleep.

But you can't deny that being able to take this thing from off to ready-to-go in 3 seconds would be cool.

Sleep should certainly be a workable option, once the settings are right. LPDDR needs around .5 mA for standby and most everything else can be shut off. Battery life in standby should be measurable in weeks.

The Pandora is based on an omap3 chipset, with all kinds of power-saving features. Voltage levels can be dropped in several steps, or turned off altogether for parts not in use. CPU frequency can be turned up and down on demand. And so on. If all, or some, of these power-saving measures are used then there's no need to ever turn off the Pandora, unless you want to put it in storage for a while.

My Nokia, with its 1500mAh battery (the Pandora will use a 4000mAh battery) lasts for a week or more (10 days when the battery was new). During that time I'm always able to find a wall outlet so I can recharge.

With wi-fi on the same device lasts for up to several days, depending on the access point. When running flat out on something that doesn't allow the device to go into any kind of power saving mode the battery lasts about 3-4 hours. It's been stated that the Pandora should manage up to 10 hours (well, that was before the RAM upgrade.. say 9.5) under the same conditions. That would mean the idle mode should last for 20-25 days maybe.. Why would you ever want to shut it down, or hibernate it, or put it to sleep?

I for one will keep it on at all times, and wi-fi on whenever there's access, so that I can get my incoming messages, e-mails and (eventually) Skype calls. Even without that, there's no reason to shut it down, except for switching off the screen.

taltoris said:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5185504436.html

Interesting, no?

Hum, that's actually slow...
My linux box does suspend to ram in about 1.5sec and resume from that state in about the same time.
By the way remember that (by default) there won't have any swap, so suspend to disk wont work...
And I expect the :pandora1: to do suspend to ram way faster than that.

Suspend to disk speed will largly depend on how fast your SD card handle a 256M write at once. and a 256M read to startup.

The only Interesting feature of your like, is that it's able to compress the ram on the fly so the read-time will be lower, but as I didn't see anything related to the licence, I'm guessing it's a close-source commercial. So I'm not that much exited.

Back