Bolcataxian V1.01 - Blu+ Fixed

jbb

Still Fresh
Hi there!

New version, with rejigged screenflipping and new timings making it work on ALL GP32s, including the latest BLU+ models.
The only drawback is a very slightly slower gamespeed, but we're talking 5ms... so barely noticeable, the framerate stays virtually the same.

Get it from my website.
http://home.freeuk.net/bolcatoid/JBBproggies/Bolcataxian

Enjoy!
JBB

Note: If you do not own a BLU+ there is no real need to update.

Thanks, this is a great game, I have been playing it on my blu+ and enjoying it on the unfixed version, this will be much nicer.

Any chance of future levels, or a level editor, or the like?

Thanks again.
mth411

Thanks man.

Level editor unlikely. More levels yes, as soon as time permits.
Cheerio,
JBB

Hi there!

New version, with rejigged screenflipping and new timings making it work on ALL GP32s, including the latest BLU+ models.
The only drawback is a very slightly slower gamespeed, but we're talking 5ms... so barely noticeable, the framerate stays virtually the same.

Get it from my website.
http://home.freeuk.net/bolcatoid/JBBproggies/Bolcataxian

Enjoy!
JBB

Note: If you do not own a BLU+ there is no real need to update.

Does this mean that all future versions will be slow to work on the BLU+ ? Or will you have a separate version so it will be smoother on the rest of the NLU, BLU,FLU? I hope so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed.

I might put an option actually, that gives the choice of 50ms per frame (normal GP32) or 55ms per frame (BLU+) Vblank timing.
This said, I am not sure it's even worth it: like I said, the change in speed is barely noticeable.
JBB

@jbb

did not try previous non BLU+ compatible version, but 1.01 is really smooth on BLU+, but that scan line bug is still present ... it seems, we have to live with it, as far as I know, there is no fix for it yet :(

Are you sure?
Is it the flickering problem, or just the extra line bug?

Sorry about that, DrJekkyl seemed to say it was fine on his.
If it is just remaining a slight flickering on the right of the screen, you can custom the timings by pressing the debug cheat: L+Down, then L+left and L+right to adjust the delay value between screen flips. The normal GP32 was 50ms, the BLU+ is boosted at 55ms. You can try to go a little higher like 56, 57 or even 60ms and check if the problem disappears. I will release a new version with the ideal value by default.

Cheers,
JBB

Back