Better Picture Viewer? Rotation?

TrevorBradley

Hey, I'm new to the F200, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

One thing I'm wondering is if someone has developed a better photo viewer. The feature I'm looking for is the ability to "rotate" the display not just for the current picture, but for all future displayed pics. Alternately a viewer that is aware of the dimensions of the picture being displayed and displays tall pics rotated by 90 degrees.

The GP2X is both tiny and easy to rotate, and I'd rather be able to view the pics as large as possible even if it means rotating the GP2X once in a while. It's easier to hand around this way.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

this is the only picture viewer i know of besides the one in firmware. don't think it does what you want though. there might be one for qtopia?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pv2x

i think the best thing would be, use a photo app to resize your pictures to 320x240. photoshop and gimp can be scripted to do this batch. rotate the vertical ones beforehand. also look into the filter linked in my sig (although may not be necessary on f200?). they will load faster and look better. but you lose the ability to zoom, so maybe do 640x480, or 320x240 multiplied by some other power of 2.

also, you may want to do a couple test ones first, to see if you like the gamma curve. if the levels look off, adjust them in batch in photoshop or gimp so that they look nice on the gp2x screen.

rokdcasbah said:
i think the best thing would be, use a photo app to resize your pictures to 320x240. photoshop and gimp can be scripted to do this batch. rotate the vertical ones beforehand. also look into the filter linked in my sig (although may not be necessary on f200?). they will load faster and look better. but you lose the ability to zoom, so maybe do 640x480, or 320x240 multiplied by some other power of 2.

also, you may want to do a couple test ones first, to see if you like the gamma curve. if the levels look off, adjust them in batch in photoshop or gimp so that they look nice on the gp2x screen.
I've actually done something similar to this before, using ImageMagick and perl scripts on Linux. Before it was for thumbnails to fit inside a fixed width AND height: make a first image scale to width, the same image a second time scaled to height, and delete the larger thumbmail. I presume a similar method could be used here: scale to height, second image rotate and scale to height, delete the larger image.

I guess I could do that. I bit hard to view pics straight out of the camera that way though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Trevor Bradley said:
I guess I could do that. I bit hard to view pics straight out of the camera that way though...
agreed. i hadn't realized until now that you're probably just tossing the sd card in between. but on the off chance that you didn't already know, the picture viewer will rotate 90 degrees if you hit 'B', so you don't need to hit 'Y' and use the menu in that case. but like you said it goes back straight once you hit 'R'.

as far as the scaling stuff...the only time i tried to use imagemagick, it was just doing very rough scaling, not the nice bilinear/bicubic/whatever kinds you can get with photoshop or gimp. don't know if there's other options though.

personally i'd just grab the ones that need rotating, rotate them first (in batch if possible), then do a resize & level adjustment on the whole set. in photoshop it's pretty brainless because you can record macros (i think there's also javascript-style stuff in later versions but haven't needed it). i don't know how it works in gimp exactly, i think it is more of writing script than recording macro though.

if you're shooting a lot, you should already be in that "archive 'em, batch adjustment, keep extra copies of the favorites" mindset! i'd have lost many photos if i wasn't totally anal like that.

also, why the heck aren't you shooting in raw? you know jpg is like shooting through a sausage grinder, right? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back