Best Neo Geo emulator?

doragasu

Recently I have been searching a Neo Geo emulator and to my surprise none of the ones I have tested suits my needs:

1. Fullspeed on a classic Pandora.
  2. Support for encrypted ROMs.
  3. In-game service menu (for setting game level, blood, etc).
  4. Button remapping.
Hotkeys for koy combinations (i.e. A+B+C) would also be great, but I can live without them. The closest I have found to my requests is GnGeo. It runs fullspeed, supports encrypted ROMs and I was able to remap buttons (although the way of remapping them is not definitely user friendly). The problem with this emulator is I have not been able to display the service menu.

I have also tried Mame4all (doesn't support encrypted ROMs), PanMame (slow), MameEx (slow) and Neo.Emu (couldn't remap buttons, menus are a bit confusing for me, maybe it can be done).

Is there a Neo Geo emulator for Pandora fitting all my needs?

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest I have found to my requests is GnGeo. It runs fullspeed, supports encrypted ROMs and I was able to remap buttons (although the way of remapping them is not definitely user friendly). The problem with this emulator is I have not been able to display the service menu.
Press F3.

This really should be integrated in the next version of Yoshis "Pandora Fact Sheets".

Tried hitting F3 in GnGeo, and it works... but not for all games. Have tested KoF98, 99 and 2000, and only worked in KoF98, I got a black screen in the other two KoFs. Thanks anyway!

Time to test FBA Capex.

After messing a bit with Neo Geo BIOS files (I had to rename sfix.sfx to sfix.sfix), I got FBA Capex to somehow work, but I have the usual romset problems, some of them do not load, others load but show only a black screen, others show corrupted graphics, and again I don't know how to get into the service menu...

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to get the proper roms.  I just cherry picked them because the romset you have will not work on all of them.  If you use the rom that works on GnGeo but does not work on FBA, google is your friend to find the correct rom for FBA.

One more thing, are you using the latest FBA on the repo?  If yes, make sure  you set 68K Emu Core = Force M68K and Z80 Emu Core = DR Z80.

The EMU EX plus alpha NEO is the best neo geo emulator available on Pandora at this stage. 

GnGeo is great but lacks features and its rendering is inferior to FBA and Emu EX Plus Alpha, and FBA lacks features vs Emu EX Plus Alpha NEO too... so the winner is clear, I think. At least on 1Ghz, I haven't tried it on Rebirth. 

Back