Beginners Question

seink

Still Fresh
Hi, i am new here and i am from Canada. I recently purchased the GP2x MK2 ver. and i am experiencing some problems wif it.

I tried to look at the forums first but i still cant find the answer and the search button does not help much.

So here's the questions:

1) There are some programs(SquidgeSNES, The Minigame Project) which once i run it i cant quit to the main screen again. I have to turn off the power and turn on again. Is there a way to reboot or quit these programs??

2) i downloaded elsewhere video, converted it and tried to play it in my gp2x, its slow and sometimes it hangs too.Am i suppose to install some mplayer program?

3)Due to all the problems, i have been consistently turn the power off n on again.I just want to know if its normal to do that and will it damage my gp2x?

4)Does textviewer in gp2x only ready txt files? can it read pdf? is there a software that allowes me to read pdfs,ppt,and other docs?

5)Is there anything recommeded on installing?

1) You have to hold select to bring up the menu in SquidgeSNES...
2) MAke sure you are not on the "Save", "normal" mode for the movie player. Use the "full" setting and it should not stutter. If the bitrate of the movie is too high your SD card may have trouble streaming the video to the GP2X.
3) Should be ok, only time it's really bad is if you are flashing the firmware, or if a file is obviously saving.
4) Only reads txt yes. There is a PDF viewer but last time I tried it it was quite slow. Qtopia can view more formats, but I'm unsure how well it performs...
5) Just try anything ^_^

EDIT: Yes forgot to stress that point, read readmes...

Emmm.. try reading the read me given with the programs, to exit SSNES you need to hold select

1) Read the readme files. Squidgesnes - if you hold select for 5 seconds, you'll go back to the menu. Don't know about the mini game project.

2) Convert the video using PocketDivX Encoder. Use the iRiver template, and it'll play flawlessly. Tweak settings to your liking.

3) Turning the power on and off shouldn't cause a problem.

4) Yep, text files only. Check the archive. There are some programs for viewing other formats. http://archive.gp2x.de

5) Lots of stuff on the archive. Try what sounds fun to you. Enjoy!

Hi, i am new here and i am from Canada. I recently purchased the GP2x MK2 ver. and i am experiencing some problems wif it.
Welcome to the community! :)

1) There are some programs(SquidgeSNES, The Minigame Project) which once i run it i cant quit to the main screen again. I have to turn off the power and turn on again. Is there a way to reboot or quit these programs??
If I remember correctly, holding the select button for a couple of seconds in Squidge SNES will bring you to the emulator's menu, which has an exit option. I'm not sure about the Minigame Project, but glance at the included readme, I'm sure it has it covered.

2) i downloaded elsewhere video, converted it and tried to play it in my gp2x, its slow and sometimes it hangs too.Am i suppose to install some mplayer program?
The video player that comes pre-installed should do the job fine. If you want optimal performance, select the Full option for the player, or re-encode the video at 320x240 with PocketDivX.

3)Due to all the problems, i have been consistently turn the power off n on again.I just want to know if its normal to do that and will it damage my gp2x?
It's not normal, but I doubt it has any serious toll on the device's life. It must be frustrating for you though...

4)Does textviewer in gp2x only ready txt files? can it read pdf? is there a software that allowes me to read pdfs,ppt,and other docs?
The built-in reader only reads .txt files, search the GP2X archive for PDF readers and the like.

5)Is there anything recommeded on installing?
I'm not sure I quite understand this last question.

- Alex

Why are we expecting someone who doesn't read the readme's to read our replies?

It's like a paradox ... or a pun or something.

Hi, thank you everyone for the input.

FYI: I do read the readme files, but ,like any normal person, i just skimmed through the tedious text and must have missed the select part.

Thanks again that helps me a lot.

I can recommend installing tilematch, sokoban and clonk2x. Awesome games. The sokoban clone will keep you busy for hours since it has hundreds of levels.
Also install DrMD if you wanna try some really well done megadrive/genesis emulation.

Back