Battery Life When Watching Movies

Pleng

I have read to expect about 7 hours of battery life when using the Dingoo for games. I also read somewhere that battery life was reduced when watching videos, but I can't seem to find any details of by how much?

Does it reduce use by a couple of hours? 50%? more? Or is what I've read just plain wrong?

It depends on the codec, resolution, etc.

Do you really think, we will watch movies for hours, although we have all those fantastic games available? :D

conso said:
Do you really think, we will watch movies for hours, although we have all those fantastic games available? :D

lol how silly of me!

I'm asking because I intend to take Dingoo on a 12-hour flight and I intend to catch up on some South Park and a couple of films that I haven't had time to watch, in between gaming sessions (I don't think my thumbs will manage 8-hours solid of hardcore gaming). So I'm trying to ascertain how much gaming I'll have left over after watching a couple of hours of video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for a little impression:
After watching a two hour .flv (over TV-out, dunno if the LCD drains that much), there were two bars left in the battery icon. Good enough i think, but 12 hours is probably too much. What about a book? :p

fishybawb said:
Or take a laptop with you and charge mid-flight!

Would this work?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8796

tappy said:
Would this work?

Yes actually I've already ordered something else like that. I'm not really worried about it lasting the full 12 hours - I don't want to give my eyes *that* much punishment. But if watching videos was to (for example) halve the battery life down to 4 hours then I'd have to think about watching a bit less video to make the gaming last longer. If the impact was something like you get an hour less total play time then I wouldn't be too worried about how I divide my time!

remember that charging the dingoo takes a considerable while and as far as I know, you can't charge and play at the same time. Maybe I'm just too stupid, but when I charge my dingoo with my pda's ac or via my notebooks usb, the device is blocked.

For me, dingoo's battery life is fantastic. I recently had a 6 hour train-session with it and it still had a lot of battery-power left. Typically, I play for about half an hour and then rest for at least 10 minutes, I wouldn't want to watch movies or listen to music in that time, but totally relax ;)

conso said:
remember that charging the dingoo takes a considerable while and as far as I know, you can't charge and play at the same time. Maybe I'm just too stupid, but when I charge my dingoo with my pda's ac or via my notebooks usb, the device is blocked.

You can continue playing whilst charging if you select 'safely remove device' from Windows and unmount the disks. That will return dingoo to the main menu. So as long as you don't need to use Dingux it's fine. However I'm not sure how that'll work when connected to a portable charger. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know!

Pleng said:
tappy said:
Would this work?

Yes actually I've already ordered something else like that. I'm not really worried about it lasting the full 12 hours - I don't want to give my eyes *that* much punishment. But if watching videos was to (for example) halve the battery life down to 4 hours then I'd have to think about watching a bit less video to make the gaming last longer. If the impact was something like you get an hour less total play time then I wouldn't be too worried about how I divide my time!

Careful with that:

Cons: ° Does NOT charge my pocketPC which normally is being charged through USB-power. Plugging my PPC onto this device even drops battery-chargelevel faster than without this charger plugged onto it!

conso said:
For me, dingoo's battery life is fantastic. I recently had a 6 hour train-session with it and it still had a lot of battery-power left. Typically, I play for about half an hour and then rest for at least 10 minutes, I wouldn't want to watch movies or listen to music in that time, but totally relax ;)
I'm really thrilled to hear that! I've owned GP32 and GP2X and thoroughly loved them, but I always felt hindered by the poor 2-3 hour battery life. It always led me to underclock whenever possible and not play really long RPGs. It's really encouraging to hear I could fit one or two days' worth of nice gaming sessions in one charge. :)

Now I really hope DealExtreme hurries up with my order.

tappy said:
fishybawb said:
Or take a laptop with you and charge mid-flight!

Would this work?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8796

That will work perfect, I actually own that model just in a different color off DX its cheaper to. Never fig that out about DX were alot of items are dif prices but the only dif is color http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11867

It works great btw I use it with two 2100 Sanyo rechargeable, works with my cell phone, bluetooth, A320, even my zodiac ( I took an extra sync cable and sliced the power adapter off and wired it to one of the extra plug ins that I didn't need)

Enverex said:
Careful with that:

Cons: ° Does NOT charge my pocketPC which normally is being charged through USB-power. Plugging my PPC onto this device even drops battery-chargelevel faster than without this charger plugged onto it!

Yea that wasn't the actual device I purchased. I got this. I haven't had a chance to try it on my Dingoo yet as there's a festival in town this week (leaving little chance to play with Dingoo), but it worked a charm on my friends phone when it needed charging yesterday!

Pleng said:
Enverex said:
Careful with that:

Yea that wasn't the actual device I purchased. I got this. I haven't had a chance to try it on my Dingoo yet as there's a festival in town this week (leaving little chance to play with Dingoo), but it worked a charm on my friends phone when it needed charging yesterday!

You should have no proble as long as it pushes 5v which is standard

Back