ARM Announces 64-Bit Cortex-A50 Architecture.

What are the chances that we'll see a 64bit ARM processor on a P2 expansion module?

Gah - double post - please ignore/delete

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the chances that we'll see a 64bit ARM processor on a P2 expansion module?
That was fast. I was about to post this asking how long people thought it might take before someone suggested the P2 should use it. :p

Considering A15 was announced a little over 2 years ago (2010 iirc), and it's JUST now getting into production devices with the Nexus 10 (not counting Krait which is similarish to A15), when they say due in 2014, I'd bet you won't really see them in use until early 2015...Still though it'd be great to know that the P2 supported it when it came out, so a whole new system doesn't have to be developed around it. Modularity is nice. :)

That was fast. I was about to post this asking how long people thought it might take before someone suggested the P2 should use it. :p
Maybe we need a forum bot that looks for any posts talking about a new or obscure piece of hardware, and posts a demand for it to be included the P2.

or maybe I am a robot...

Considering A15 was announced a little over 2 years ago (2010 iirc), and it's JUST now getting into production devices with the Nexus 10 (not counting Krait which is similarish to A15), when they say due in 2014, I'd bet you won't really see them in use until early 2015...Still though it'd be great to know that the P2 supported it when it came out, so a whole new system doesn't have to be developed around it. Modularity is nice. :)

I agree it'll be a while, and the parts will probably focus servers first. But the clock is ticking. Today we get tablets with 2GB of RAM, which is already past the comfort limit for a 32-bit virtual address space. When 8GB becomes desirable Cortex-A15 will be at a big disadvantage in supporting it. 2015 could be too late, even for tablets.

The other companies designing 64-bit ARM cores are probably hard at work too.

But there's no way an SoC with a 64-bit ASM CPU would be ready for a device releasing late 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, but talking about what specific upgrades should be done long before the first one is out is kind of absurd..

I know, but talking about what specific upgrades should be done long before the first one is out is kind of absurd..
True. I'd better shut up before I suggest a pandora 3 spam forum or something :rolleyes:

Back