Anyone Know The Status On Fennec For Arm Cpus?

I usually have too many tabs open to count, and usually takes between 500-750MB or RAM. The reason I use firefox is that there are extensions available to help me deal with all the tabs (collapsable groups), and noscript. Other browsers can be nice, but I haven't found one that deals very nicely with the tab overload issue, and customization as well as FF does.

lulzfish said:
Chrome is using 461M Virtual (probably means nothing), 92M Resident, and 29M shared according to top.
I have Facebook and 4 tabs of GP32X open.
Both Chromium and Firefox tend to cache a lot of media in RAM to make websites faster (It's not wise to load an image off of the hard disk every time you click a link and a page needs a specific image multiple times), so that's what's pushing the memory methinks. If you run on a system with less RAM, less memory will be used for caching and thus the browsers will take up less memory. Therefore, to make an accurate benchmark, either open up a couple of totally unrelated pages right after starting the browser, or run a benchmark like Peacekeeper the first thing you do when the browser starts.

BTW, I've made some browser benchmarks in the past; look here:
http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/results.action?key=22Ac

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I think this needs to be considered too:
Why doesn't free memory go down

I've had several ocasions when memory (ram and swap) was completely "full" according to top. Yet I could launch new programs (for a while). Kinda makes it hard to tell when the PC is close to truely using the whole memory.

The latter has happened to me on many occasions. The mouse cursor freezing is one particularly noticeable symptom (not to mention completely unresponsive GUI). Only solution is to switch to one of the virtual terminals and kill some processes, which is easier said than done (it takes minutes from a key press to it showing on screen :lol: )

I tried Fennec, not bad, I don't recall how much memory it was using though.
@Craig, same here. Same reason why I don't see why Fireworks would use a whole gigabyte of RAM f or 10 pictures from a camera

Still, the output of those tools seems really weird to me. It's not only firefox that has this "memory hog" behavior but nearly any other app that uses varying amounts of memory.

Yoyobuae said:
Still, the output of those tools seems really weird to me. It's not only firefox that has this "memory hog" behavior but nearly any other app that uses varying amounts of memory.
Then file a bug in the GNU bug tracker! :p

But seriously now, ps and top are close to foolproof and as bug free as anything can get. If ps says that an app uses a specified amount of memory, then that app actually DOES use that amount of memory. Ergo, the memory hogging app is to blame for it if it uses superfluous amounts of RAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back