Additional buzzer / speaker for alerts

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
I suggest that, in addition to a high-quality audio system switched between the headset jack and speakers, the pyragon/thingamajiggit should have a cheapo buzzer (perhaps one of those piezo jobbies that can play simple tones) built-in.

This could take the place of the system bell, be used as an alarm-clock ringer, and anything else that must operate consistently.

It would be controlled entirely from software, and should be able to operate without the need for complex audio/mixer demons or the like.

no! Whats the point in having hardware controlled audio when something can trigger a stupid buzzer. My Thinkpad x41 has a buzzer and I had all kinds of nasty problems with it! They are anoying as hell, abominations!. xD Even for an alarm clock I wouldn't want a freakin buzzer to wake me up, thats insane - just don't mute the system! : )

Edit: added smilies

Last edited by a moderator:
no! Whats the point in having hardware controlled audio when something can trigger a stupid buzzer. My Thinkpad x41 has a buzzer and I had all kinds of nasty problems with it! They are anoying as hell, abominations!. Even for an alarm clock I wouldn't want a freakin buzzer to wake me up, thats insane - just don't mute the system!
Harsh words bro. Tone it down

on subject, Id say that would be a waste of effort to impliment, waste if money, and might take up too much room

Not sure about "too much room" my watch has one laminated to the inside of its case - 1mm thick tops.

As to price, I'm guessing they cost around 20p each in bulk

My memory from playing with Arduino's is that they require no supporting circuitry at all - it could probably be wired straight into a GPIO :)

Not sure about "too much room" my watch has one laminated to the inside of its case - 1mm thick tops.

As to price, I'm guessing they cost around 20p each in bulk

My memory from playing with Arduino's is that they require no supporting circuitry at all - it could probably be wired straight into a GPIO :)
Sounds like a good candidate for a hardware hack then. ;)

- Neelix

There is a GPIO line behind the LCD in the P1. Wire a buzzer to that. Easy Peasy.

Back