A Few Initial Findings About The Gp2x F-200

deluded said:
As far as I've worked out, you can use the serial from the cradle to talk to the gp2x and get debug out etc.
You worked it out, eh? A lot of us have been doing this for ages ;). The problem isn't with using serial but that it costs a fair amount extra (on top of the cost of a GP2X) and cannot really be used for file transfers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry... Should have known.

There's a lot of newbies with F200s that are trying to make a difference - it doesn't help when people respond to every F200 post with negative coments.

deluded said:
There's a lot of newbies with F200s that are trying to make a difference - it doesn't help when people respond to every F200 post with negative coments.
It doesn't help when people are overly positive either. If 'the market' decides GPH has made a piece of ****, they can rightfully suffer for it.

If there are a large amount of negative comments in relation to the F200, then logically the F200 is failing to meet expectations, just as the other 3 models have.

sam fisher said:
If there are a large amount of negative comments in relation to the F200, then logically the F200 is failing to meet expectations, just as the other 3 models have.

I disagree.. :blink: the Mk2 has met and surpassed my expectations and I've been well happy with it.

I too disagree, as every salesman knows people usually hate change, new models are always resented by old model fans and negative people are always more vocal and loud while positive people remain relatively silent.

a very old proverb on how word of mouth works states:
"A happy customer tells 5 people, an unhappy customer tells 250"

Well i just wanna give my opinion, i have owned each gp32 console and i am pleasantly surprised with the f200. Now im not a developer so i cant judge it on those merits but as a retro gamer fan the machine does the job wonderfully.
The orginal gp32 was excellant but lacked buttons.
The gp32x was just terriable due to that stick.
F200 whilst not the most perfect d-pad in the world it more than meets my expectations and im just happy to be able to play sensi properly on hand held for once. Although i can imagine it being a pain for sf2 games.

Just a quick question did this f200 ship with batteries as i didnt receive any?

coevin said:
Just a quick question did this f200 ship with batteries as i didnt receive any?
No, coevin, it didn't as I didn't receive any either.

As for people saying the F200 sucks etc, well, as somebody said here, it's from a developer's point of view. It's my first GP2X and I'm satisfied with it, so I still thank GPH for it, as I use it only for gaming. Also, it *seems* to me that so far, this console is the best one for gaming isn't it ? (only talking about GP2X here)

Even though the DPAD is not very appreciated from users of this forum (it's perfectly fine for me though), it looks like it's still better than the previous stick, at least that's what I understand from the feedback. It also has touchscreen, but there's no program really using it yet, so it's not worth mentioning it now And apparently the LCD screen is better ? So, if you're a gamer... I would say go for it.

coevin said:
Well i just wanna give my opinion, i have owned each gp32 console and i am pleasantly surprised with the f200. Now im not a developer so i cant judge it on those merits but as a retro gamer fan the machine does the job wonderfully.
I agree. It is a great console, and if you chose it for the better pad, the colour or the louder sound you will not be disappointed.

Unfortunately if it isn't suited for devs (and I have not seen opposite reactions) then this is a real problem.
For now I think if you want the F200 for touchscreen homebrew/emulators it could be better to wait until this is sorted out. Without devs we will not see a lot of new stuff for the touchscreen I guess.

Well I finally got my F200 and I think it is excellent. So much better than my Mk1. The stick in that thing was absolutely terrible. The dpad is a HUGE step up.

kevcal said:
sam fisher said:

I disagree.. :blink: the Mk2 has met and surpassed my expectations and I've been well happy with it.
Well, the F-200 met MY expectations and surpassed them. I think it's an overall better unit than the MKII, and I'm glad I sold my MKII to generate the funds to get my F-200. It's not a huge step up as far as upgrades go by any stretch, and I wouldn't advise anyone who has an MKII to drop $169 just so they can have both, but for new users out there who don't have a GP2X at all, go get an F-200!

Now, from the dev standpoint, I'm sure it's frustrating twofold, because of changes in the hardware which make coding less easy, and GPH has yet to release sourcecode for the new unit, but honestly, even with the new changes, I can't imagine that the F-200 is suddenly the most difficult console out there to dev on (I honestly don't have any experience in coding, but I'm just guessing). Seriously, is it a matter of "OMG this console is impossible to dev on" or (and this is my guess) "Wow, dev'ing on the MKII was easier than the F-200, so I have no desire to give it a go"? I know many of the Dev's here have more than paid their dues, and I applaud them for their service. If they don't want to try to work around the F-200's changes, that's cool. And then there are other Devs who are waiting with baited breath for the Craiginator and they're pouring all their energies into creating stuff for that unit. I honestly hope that there's at least a few NEW GP2X owners out there who just purchased (or will purchase) an F-200 who know know a thing or two about programming and are willing to put forth the time and effort for some touchscreen related goodness.

What really frustrates me is the sort of negative comments that are all-encompassing: calling the F-200 garbage, or talking trash about GPH in general... I mean, after all, if you really hate the GP2X or the company that makes it, why do you waste your time on a website that supports it? I'm certainly not telling anyone to stop coming to GP32X, but if you're miserable over the whole GPH experience, wouldn't you just want nothing to do with them at all? Anyway, there's nothing fundamentally WRONG with the F-200. It works, and it works WELL. It's just different from the MKII. You don't see people going all crazy and talking smack about Nintendo every time they release a SLIGHT upgrade to one of their portable units. If you have a Nintendo DS and don't want a DS Lite, then just don't buy it! I even saw one post that said something along the lines of "there's no games available for the F-200. I regret purchasing it". WHAT? There's nothing BUT games for the F-200! It's a machine centered around emulation, for Pete's sake. Yes, there's no official games that utilize the touchscreen, but I for one have no desire to buy an official game for a system when there are are tons and tons of other games out there that can be played for free (no, I'm not promoting illegal rom downloads -- riiiiiight). And there's no homebrew out yet, because, I don't know... THE UNIT JUST CAME OUT! The situation with the F-200 HAS TO BE lightyears better than when the MKI came out. Think about it: at least tons of emulators and homebrew games/apps have already been created by the time the F-200 had been released. When the MKI came out, none of that had been developed yet! And it's not like there's horrendous compatibility issues. The biggest was MAME not working... for what... three days??

Everyone who has issues with the F-200 has every right to speak their mind. I guess I'm just going to have to be one of the happy minority to sing it's praises. I've had it almost a week now and had no problems, and I've loved every minute of it.

I'm a bit confused. Do GP2X F200 owners think that if there are no touch screen games out there, there are no original games for their GP2X, period? Have a go at those buttons for a while, it won't kill you ;)

As for the lack of USB networking, sure it was nice to have, but it's definitely not the end of the world. The GP32 didn't have USB networking either (did it?), and look how successful it was for what it did :)

Peace and have fun.

Alex. said:
I'm a bit confused. Do GP2X F200 owners think that if there are no touch screen games out there, there are no original games for their GP2X, period? Have a go at those buttons for a while, it won't kill you ;)

As for the lack of USB networking, sure it was nice to have, but it's definitely not the end of the world. The GP32 didn't have USB networking either (did it?), and look how successful it was for what it did :)

Peace and have fun.
Wow, you pretty much summed up what I've been saying, but in a much more concise way, haha. Thank you. There's an almost infinite choice of gaming opportunities available for the F-200 that would keep any sensible gamer EASILY occupied until some touchscreen goodness is developed. Did I say "until"? Maybe I should rephrase that as "if" since so many users have refused to try to dev on it. You'd think this was the Rosetta Stone of freakin' video game systems, with some of the comments I've read. Once again I say this purely from the standpoint of common sense, because I have no experience in programming, but there HAS to be systems FAR more difficult to develop games, apps, and emulators for (and I mean developed by programmers in homegrown communities like this one, not official commericial releases), but it's still done! I totally respect anyone's right to choose not to dev for the F-200 (especially those who have done so much for the GP2X community so far), but I hope some fresh blood comes along who will get excited about touch screen dev'ing (or any kind of dev'ing for the GP2X for that matter!).

Well said Alex.

The F200 is great so far. Man the audio is loud! I had a few games practically knock me over...heheh old games that don't support those volume buttons aren't going to get much play.

Developers will continue to code, PalmOS is still MUCH harder than the F200 and look at all the software written for it. Anyone who misses telnet too badly will just have to buy a F100 and debug on that. The only difference is the touchscreen and I can't see that being a debug necessity.

Happy F200 owner.

Back