6lowpan support?

Luke-Jr

Think there's any chance of squeezing in a 6lowpan module for low-power wireless? ;)

What's your use case? As a protcol defined for low power devices with limited processing capabilites, the Pyra doesn't seem to be the obvious target for such connectivity. But if you've an existing device you'd like to hook up to your Pyra then it might be an idea worth revisiting.

I was just thinking for longer battery life mainly. One could switch to a 6lowpan network when you just want (eg) IM notifications and such working 24/7 - which can (if necessary) trigger a full WiFi connect.

Not useful. As far as I can tell, 6lowpan has been around for over 2 years and it is not yet supported by standard wifi routers.

I've never heard of 6lowpan before - what does "standard wifi router" mean? Can a router with a custom os installed do it, or would completely new routers be needed?

It's a standardised version of ZigBee. So the same hardware would do both ZigBee and/or 6lowpan.

It does require different hardware than 802.11, though.

It's a standardised version of ZigBee. So the same hardware would do both ZigBee and/or 6lowpan.

So the kernel module you wish for would only work with some special external WiFi modules, and those external WiFi modules would only connect to the same of their kind, but not to any router?This doesn't sound like something to bundle by default.

But if you have trouble compiling the module for yourself or something, you can probably get help here.

So the kernel module you wish for would only work with some special external WiFi modules, and those external WiFi modules would only connect to the same of their kind, but not to any router?
This doesn't sound like something to bundle by default.

But if you have trouble compiling the module for yourself or something, you can probably get help here.
He was asking whether the 6lowpan module could be built INSIDE the case. Not just whether a kernel module could be shipped with the Pyra.

He was asking whether the 6lowpan module could be built INSIDE the case. Not just whether a kernel module could be shipped with the Pyra.
Now I get it, I thought this was in the Pandora forum.
In that case the answer is a clear: Nope, too late. And anyway, I wouldn't want to spend money on this.

Back