???

neo10060

Still Fresh
Once u buy GP Cinema from joy gp does it come as like a download on you computer that you can noew download, or soed it come in the mail as a seperate SMC, or what. I think it comes as a download, so if it does, do you have to buy a new GP cinema if you weant to put it on another card?

GPCinema comes to you via download (as do all games you buy online at JoyGP)

Don't worry about using it only on one SMC - you can copy and backup it as often as you like, because there exist basically two copy protections for the GP32:

1. You already know the first one: If you buy a boxed game and receive the game on an SMC, it only works with that card on any GP32 you have.

2. The second one is for (commercial) games you download: You can download it and copy it on any SMC and it works - but only on YOUR GP32 (you have to authentificate it once before you can buy anything at joygp).

I prefer the second method, although you have to buy everything again once you get another GP32 and you can't sell the games.

Pah, I reckon we write our own gpcinema, that's faster and supports more formats, myself - say, written in 100% ARM ASM - whos with me?

Squidge posted on Dec 27 2003 at 01:21 AM said:
Pah, I reckon we write our own gpcinema, that's faster and supports more formats, myself - say, written in 100% ARM ASM - whos with me?
With you as in coding skills or with you as in HELL YEAH!!!! :unsure: .

Cannot code to save my life, So "HELL YEAH!!!" :D

Good luck if you do take up the challenge though. :)

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Faster? Just what are you smoking? Just take a look at what GP Cinema is capable of: 320x240 Divx4.12 movies running at 24 frames per second WITH MP3 audio multiple bitrates (And compare that with the current community lead player projects), I can't think of any way to make that a better player (Aside from being able to use WMA9's codec (It has some insane quality at low resolutions, an entire SG-1 episode (~50 minutes) can fit into about 20 megs with great quality), but that's out of the question unless you have the power of at least a zodiac or high end palm). Also, those specs aren't just theoretical maximums, that's what I have used on my own GP32 running at 166mhz.. Also, as for your choice of buzzwords of using a 'ARM ASM Core' (Which I'm not even sure if you really understand, judging by the rest of your post), I wouldn't have any reason to doubt that GP Cinema uses just that, judging by its raw power and the fact that it is a wholly commercial product, which means that they have the money to pay programmers to do that as their job rather than having a team of programmers that either has to cut corners or take extremely long amounts of time to get complex projects done because of other work and misc. stuff (No offense meant at all to the spare time programmers out there)

You could tailor-make a new CODEC for the GP32, specifically optimised to run on its hardware.

Wow Phocks, I seems like you jumped in with both feet there. Do you happen to work for Gamepark or something?

Anyway, that post was only meant as a tongue-in-cheek kinda post whilst I was conscious, but not entirely sober. Apologies if it offended you in some way. I'm a software engineer myself you see, and a lot of things I don't believe until I've tried it myself.

Sorry.. That was a bit rude, yes, but that's the result of all the pent up annoyance from the countless posts about how there should (not just could) be emulators for N64 ('btu it haz a fastr prossesser!!11!111one!') and insane requests, just like the one you wrote above.. If I took a look at the name, I likely would've taken it as the joke it was meant to be, but I was quite tired at the time as well

Back