Yanagi

Still Fresh
I have decided I'm going to update my firmware. However, I'm having trouble with removing all the things on it. It is a 512 Sandisk. I've taken off everything except for the directory called "1945". I installed this game and, though it didn't work, I never removed it. The trouble is, as fortold by the topic, it seems to have created a never ended series of nested directories each titled "1945".
I have tried just reformatting the partition in cfdisk to fat32 anyway.
Code:
sudo cfdisk /dev/sda1
sudo is due to my using ubuntu. It said it was all free space. I formatted as 0B/Fat32.
now when connected, as previously I get "usbdisk" automounted in my /media folder as well as "usbdisk1".
"usbdisk" contains that wretched 1945 dir.
I can only assume that it is mounting both /dev/sda1 & /dev/sda1s1 or whatever my new partition is called. there's no way I feel contented trying a firmware upgrade with this situation. Anyone know of a way to overwrite/remove these dirs? Or should I just consider it fubar'd and get a new card?

I'm not expecting a whole lot of ideas here, I googled the error from
Code:
rm -fr *
and came up with one forum telling a guy with a similar problem (through using the same card in different cameras) to suck it up and consider it dead. It just seems to me if software made the problem it should be rectifiable by software too...

any help is much appreciated,
yanagi

Yanagi posted on Apr 4 2006 at 11:02 PM said:
um... bump?
still very much an issue...

if you do a 'ls -la' on the parent directory does it show the 1945 directory as a symbolic link? Or is it really just a string of never ending directories?

Last edited by a moderator:
If "rm -rf 1945" (that's what I would have tried before formatting, anyway) gave a specific error, it would be helpful if you reproduced it so we could see it as well.

Also, you should probably be able to zero-fill the device, then re-format with FAT32. I don't know the tools you should use for that, but google around and see what comes up.

The usbdisk directory might be left over from before. Have you tried removing the card and navigating to that directory? I'm going to guess that you'll still see the 1945 directory.

Try forcibly unmounting the directory, or just ignoring it.

You can also simply type "mount" at the command line to see what is mounted where.

Back