A few days have passed since I came back from Greece, and quite a lot
Sorry for not posting earlier, but I first had to catch up with all the
work that has stacked up while I was in Greece and then there was the
preparation for the Black Friday (and shipping over 100 orders I
received in my shop...)
It's Sunday night in Germany now, and I finally find the time to
summarize everything that has happened.
1. The cases
This is just a summary of the results from my visit in Greece. If you
fully followed the thread about it, there's nothing new in here (yet).
* FormAction will finish the moulds. The stylus holder has already
received a simple fix (to make it work properly). The last thing to
tweak are the shoulder buttons. They are the most complex part - it was
the same with the Pandora. I've shown them and my contact exactly
WHAT's important about the shoulder buttons. He will supervise their
changes and make sure they work as they should.
* They will produce 500 sets of transparent cases (which will be sold
in the shop). They will be sold in the shop, so you can use them to
build a transparent Pyra, put them onto a shelf or whatever. The
production run of 500 cases is included in the contract we have with
them. The transparent cases have no issues with discolorizations or
* The moulds will then move to the new company. They are a lot more
experienced with different materials. I've got a fibre-glass
enstrenghtened SNES-cartridge shell from them and it's almost
impossible to break!
So much for the cases, now onto some more very important parts...
2. The mainboard and CPU board
The bare PCBs of the mainboard with all known fixes and the Wifi
improvement have finally arrived at Nikolaus' place!
The prototype PCB production facitily took 1 - 2 weeks longer than
usual, but now it's here:
These pictures are already a few days old - Nikolaus has already
populated the boards and will test the fixes soon.
If all goes well, no more changes are needed and this is the exact same
board that will go into mass production.
The CPU board layout has also been almost fixed!
Nikolaus vastly improved the area for the DDR3 and Juliano already
simulated the new data and confirmed that the memory should now work
properly. No more voltage drops or too much noise, everything is within
There's one last area which affects the OMAP5 (not the memory) that
would be great to receive some improvement.
We haven't had any issues with the OMAP5 yet, so it might not be
needed, but it's better to optimize that area as good as possible as
Nikolaus is already working on that - and Juliano is ready for another
So we might have a final, fully optimized PCB layout finished by the
end of this week.
Then it's time to produce them and make sure the 4GB RAM is working
Well, and that's it for the PCBs. I'll certainly make three crosses
when they're done and mass production starts.
Short but important news :)
As usual, feel free to ask questions and discuss at the boards here:
CEO: Michael Mrozek
Tel.: +49 841 990 5548
HRB 4879, Amtsgericht Ingolstadt