Zip Utility?

CyberAxe

anyone know of a zip utility for the gp2x? ive looked aorund and not found any ive also tried finding a generic linux one but to no avail

i want to be able to extract a rom before runing a specific emulator for squidgesnes and the gb one sinc ethey dont support zips

Then unzip them before you put them on yout SD. They don't take up that much space... Gameboy roms are a meg, tops.

the GB ROMs are unzipped ATM but 12mb instead of 32mb is much better especially when space is limited and an zipped SNES ROMs saves a further 30mb enough room for another NeoGeo game!

wouldn't have as much need for one if i was rich enough to afford a 4gb SD!

I've already had to deleted most of my Vid's and mp3s!

I thought Gnuboy did support zip files (I keep getting all my compressed snes games in the list!)

Generic linux ones are gzip and tar. Both are supported by Busybox. You can try "tar -xzvf yourzip.tar.gz" (I think that's it). They have to be in tar.gz format for it to work.

CyberAxe posted on Feb 22 2006 at 07:13 PM said:
the GB ROMs are unzipped ATM but 12mb instead of 32mb is much better especially when space is limited and an zipped SNES ROMs saves a further 30mb enough room for another NeoGeo game!

wouldn't have as much need for one if i was rich enough to afford a 4gb SD!

I've already had to deleted most of my Vid's and mp3s!
I assume you mean megabit. I have never seen a 32 Megabyte one. any way 32 megabit is 4MB. So stop moaning quite so much. Or just write some bloody scripts to unzip them as said by someone previously (dont forget to rezip with the different archive format).

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on Feb 22 2006 at 10:03 PM said:
I assume you mean megabit. I have never seen a 32 Megabyte one. any way 32 megabit is 4MB. So stop moaning quite so much. Or just write some bloody scripts to unzip them as said by someone previously (dont forget to rezip with the different archive format).
I think they meant their entire collection was 32mb, not just one game :) Which would be around 16 games, and that is a reasonable amount (especially if they are using only games they own ;) )

I too think this would be very nice. Not only for roms, but for most things. Keeping games and things zipped, and unzipping them when you want to play with them would be quite nice and would save space, especially for those of us that can't afford larger SD cards.

I know I'm only dreaming, but something like this which I used to use on my old Pocket PC was great - something like that on the Gp2X would be wonderful. Sorting out things, zipping up on the device itself things you haven't used for a while, unzipping things as you need, editting files etc. But alas, pipe dream I'm sure ;)

I think the should be an option to zip all of your roms in one file and select from inside it, a lot of games would have repeated "words" that would shrink the zip considerably.

Shikaku posted on Feb 22 2006 at 08:29 PM said:
Just order another SD card...

no money

Aninhumer posted on Feb 22 2006 at 09:18 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Feb 22 2006 at 10:03 PM said:
I think they meant their entire collection was 32mb, not just one game :) Which would be around 16 games, and that is a reasonable amount (especially if they are using only games they own ;) )

thats right

"Or just write some bloody scripts to unzip them as said by someone previously" i was looking for a zip utility so that i could unzip via script before running

Aninhumer posted on Feb 23 2006 at 10:51 AM said:
I think the should be an option to zip all of your roms in one file and select from inside it, a lot of games would have repeated "words" that would shrink the zip considerably.

to do that with zip compression you need to zip it once with no compression then zip the zip or use a format that supports multi file compression such as RAR or 7Zip

but would take longer to extract

yes, it was just a direct reply to his post based on my original question of which he seemed to get a bit botherd by

And sorry for not including a reply in last post was at university and forgot to include it

what is the compression ratio of tar/gz compared to zip?

If anyone's serious about setting up programs to run zipped, they should look into squashfs or cramfs, etc - they have the benefit of not needing to write to SD before running (and consequently, loading may be faster depending if the program needs to read all the data or not). Another option when there's a lot of extra RAM left over is mounting a tmpfs (kinda like a ramdrive for linux, only empty space is still usable by the OS) and unzipping to that, then deleting it when it's finished.

What would be nice is a launcher that transparently knows how to handle squashfs filesystems, and there could be a standardized format for making programs that go inside these (ie, a certain script/program name inside that gets run when it's selected, etc). The drawback is it may be more difficult to manipulate programs/data inside these.

CyberAxe posted on Feb 23 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
yes, it was just a direct reply to his post based on my original question of which he seemed to get a bit botherd by

And sorry for not including a reply in last post was at university and forgot to include it

what is the compression ratio of tar/gz compared to zip?

This is in Linux, but I don't know if it can be done on the GP2X. Try this from stern first...

To compress:

tar cvzf [name of file to be compressed to (for example: monkey.zip)] [files to put to compress (for example: monkey.gbc, or you can use *.* for all files in the directory you are in, or *.gb for all .gb files. You can also list them, like: hello.gb hi.gb monkey.gb after the name of the file to be compressed to)]

To uncompress:

tar xvzf [name of compressed file]

I put the v in for verbose mode, so you know what it's doing (or not doing), so you can remove the v from both if you want.

Oh, and tar=just put all specified files into 1 file, and gz = zip.

Back