Zaxxon bug: shutdown reboots

Tor

Just reflashed with HF6 final.

Power cable plugged in.

In xfce4.

Select Log Out

Select Shut Down

(shows Power of Ångstrom)

Then the thing reboots! I asked for shutdown, not reboot.

The Pandora can only charge up when powered on, so when your machine is plugged in, it will always automatically power up and start booting into an OS. The charging circuitry currently can operate properly like this. it's not a bug with this new Hotfix, that's the way it's been since day one :) (apologies if I'm not explaining it well, the joys of shiftwork ruining my vocabulary!!)

Call it what you want, but it's still a bug.. all my ARM devices can only charge when the kernel is running. That doesn't mean they reboot when the power cable is plugged in.

Just curious: what's happening without power cable plugged in?
Without the power cable in it shuts down properly. The bug is that it reboots if the power cable happens to be in.

From my understanding of it, it's more accurate to say it's missing software rather than a flaw with the software itself. There would need to be specific software written for the charging circuitry, that utilises it without loading up the normal kernal. Basically, your machine is never fully off when charging, simply running very low level software (I think)

It's not a bug. It's the current absence of a minimal "charging mode". ;)

EDIT: Ninja'd. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Call it what you want, but it's still a bug.. all my ARM devices can only charge when the kernel is running. That doesn't mean they reboot when the power cable is plugged in..

Every ARM device (phone) will power back on and boot into a minimal charging mode.. The Pandora does the same thing as every arm based phone on the market, It just lacks the software that will run a minimal charging mode.. And it's not a bug if it's working as expected.

It would be nice if a minimal charging mode was implemented, however there are a ton of other things I'd rather see the software developers spend their time on.

Just shutdown the screen with your power button and you're fine. It has the added benefit of being already booted once you want to use it. Truly shutting it down (i.e. without cable) doesn't take that long anyway.

Yes, in the ideal case it should shut down all it can and have the charging software in the bootloader or something lightweight on top. Removing the plug should then really shut it down.

Blame the lack of manpower. There are bigger fish to fry.

flip it into low power mode, thats our charging kernal. your other arm devices are flawed in the way that they waste too much power keeping the lcd going while charging, while ours shuts down to charge

It's not a bug. It's the current absence of a minimal "charging mode". ;)

EDIT: Ninja'd. :p

quite possibly, but your version is much more succinct!! ;)

Charged my new (2nd hand, thanks Dan!!) Pandora for the 1st time last night. Does seem a bit 'odd' that it reboots when plugged in and it had me scratching my head - I thought my init.conf (I think from memory) had gotten messed up / hacked and set to runlevel 6 as a joke...

Let's call it an 'unadvertised feature' just like a certain very large, North America based software vendor would. ;)

Back