YouTube-DL & Other Open Source Projects V/s Squibs and Muggles

It's clear the tool is 100% made to download youtube videos, but DCMA doesn't sound like the appropriate tool to solve this issue.
The code itself isn't copied, it's the use of it that could break the law.

Notice:
The clear purpose of this source code is to
(i) circumvent the technological protection measures used by authorized streaming services such as YouTube, and
(ii) reproduce and distribute music videos and sound recordings owned by our member companies without authorization for such use.
We note that the source code is described on GitHub as “a command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites.”1

About DCMA:
Also, costing only $199 per site:

What service does DCMA deliver:
Anything you created, that is being used online without your permission. No matter where in the world the infringing website is hosted. If someone is hosting your content illegally, we can get it taken down fast, or your money back!

Unfortunately those images shared by galaticfurball seem to have been gimped by twitter. I can't say if it's deliberate or not, but all I can get off there now is 320x320 images, so I think they've been downscaled from 512x512, and I get a duff archive if I follow the instructions there. Nice try though. In the mean time, the code is still in plenty of places on the internet, what the RIAA have broken is the dev process.

Reactions: rSl
Those Twitter images do totally work. You just need to make sure to get served the highest resolution variant available. Basically, the image URL should end with "?format=png&name=orig", though "name=large" is usually enough as well.

Curious, in that DMCA, there's a redacted repo marked private. Does this mean it was a private GitHub repo? If so, how was the RIAA able to find it?
That doesn't necessarily mean it was a private GitHub repo. The other redacted things on that page are marked the same way, and there could have been another reason to redact it.

Help! I clicked on your link, which contained another link, which told me to:
insertpp.jpg

now my inserted "pp" is stuck in a tube and I'm afraid someone is "saving a video" of all this.

The Slashdot article listed a bunch of youtube download methods/sites.
I guess that youtube pp is making downloading easy by adding "pp" to the address of the currently viewed video ?

Back