YouTube-DL & Other Open Source Projects V/s Squibs and Muggles

Curious, in that DMCA, there's a redacted repo marked private. Does this mean it was a private GitHub repo? If so, how was the RIAA able to find it?

They probably assumed what it was from the name. If it was just a coincience and actually contained something else then I guess that user can resurrect that quite quickly, but it won't be the youtube-dl you're looking for.

This means a user, can only watch YouTube video with inbuilt ads using browser as intended by google.

With same logic we may soon see ublock/adblock and friends taken down.

There are other projects that as far as I've heard haven't been taken down. I won't name them, because you know who is probably reading this very thread.

FWIW I used the September release of youtube-dl that's installed on my video server just a few hours ago. It's still working for now, although it does periodically stop working (which is why I have alternative ways to get my videos to watch).

One good thing is people are starting to move away to alternate video services that don't depend on google's ad power. Only problem with that is that when I last tried them (a couple of weeks ago) they weren't well supported by youtube-dl yet and will likely never be now.

As of now, as Linux-SWAT noted above only github sources are taken down and original ytdl website is up. I am not sure how devs will move from hereon. Probably they will keep developing and providing ytdl outside the reach of DMCA.
On my manjaro laptop, ytdl is still working, but it may break soon when YouTube api are updated. In that case I have updated my scripts to use alternative solution, one you can get easily without me typing it here.

Last edited:
P1150428.jpg

As of now, as Linux-SWAT noted above only github sources are taken down and original ytdl website is up. I am not sure how devs will move from hereon. Probably they will keep developing and providing ytdl outside the reach of DMCA.
The problem is as they say on their website; "The project is current developed at github" and the list of contributors linked there seems to have been taken down (from the about page). I guess all of the people interested in supplying patched have github logons, and use it for issues and patches. They could switch to an email mailing list, assuming all of them also have email addresses they're happy to associate with their yt-dl work, and post patches and discussion there, but that requires setup. It oughtnt to be unsurmountable, but it presents a roadhump in development.

I never had the need to download Videos from Youtube, because my Internet was that bad that in the time i download it, i could also watch the Video..
Also most of my Phone Internal Space is full of Music i made Offline Usable because somethimes im on a "Arial Hole" expecly on the French or German Autobahn.. and in case i went to a hospital, i need Music that i even can listen to when i have my Phone in Airplane Mode (Via Lightning to Headphone Adapter),

Videos are more for when i have Airial Connection, and thanks to the EU, my Unlimited Dataplan works even in French.., so the last weekend on our Caravan, whe where able to watch Unimog Videos ^^

Funny, when I started downloading videos was because my internet was so bad that the only videos I could stream came in a super low resolution, but could download 720p videos just fine. I mainly do it these days because I try not to run javascript from someone untrustworthy like google, and I can still get better resolution stuff that I do if I stream.

BTW youtube-dl isn't only useful for downloading stuff, you can also stream stuff: '$ youtube-dl -o - <youtube url> | mplayer -' will pipe the stream into a video player app, which does avoid doubleclick/google advertising.

Back