You all know of indie games, right?

Blue Protoman

Here's an interesting thought. You're on this board, so chances are excellent that you know what an indie game is (with the possible exception of that mom looking for info about the Pandora). But how often do you see an indie CONSOLE? If you think about it, that's really what the Pandora is. No major financial backing (outside of our preorders), less than ten people in the development of the hardware, niche target...

Here's an interesting thought. You're on this board, so chances are excellent that you know what an indie game is (with the possible exception of that mom looking for info about the Pandora). But how often do you see an indie CONSOLE? If you think about it, that's really what the Pandora is. No major financial backing (outside of our preorders), less than ten people in the development of the hardware, niche target...
I guess it could be considered an indie console sort of.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail203.html

And as the makers of indie animation and video games, I think the Homestar guys are qualified to explain "indie".

Not to mention that "indie" is the same kind of bullshit as "app".

At the end of your life, when you're living through the 10 minutes that you saved up by discarding those extra syllables, you'll realize that it hasn't made up for sounding like an idiot.*

So these, uh... Games-made-by-small-teams-not-associated-with-a-large-studio...

What was I talking about?

Uh, but my point is, open source and homebrew are cooler principles, and cooler words, than indie.

Here's the website for my favorite GMBSTNAWALS:

http://blog.wolfire.com/

It's about furries, but the graphics might make up for that. Doubt it will run on the Pandora. They are aiming for Linux (and OS X and Windows, of course), but their engine looks pretty complex, it might not translate to GLES cheap enough for them, and they'd probably have to scale back on the triangle count and texture resolution.

*I hope this doesn't get annoy some kind of web app software company I try to apply for... If it does, I hope they understand that I'm more professional in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Captain Obvious is obvious ;)

Indie stands for independant (from the major companies). So yes, I guess it's pretty obvious that the Pandora is an indie console.

I think homebrew and GMBSTNAWALS are different.

Homebrew devs are guys in their basement making games.

Whereas GMBSTNAWALS are guys in their basement making games, but with a NIIIIIICE website
laugh.gif

Indie is specifically independent from major publishers, the typical channel by which games not only make it to market, but are often funded.

The Pandora is, by definition, not independent because it's produced in an industry where there are no established distribution or funding channels to be dependent upon. OpenPandora as a company may be small, but they are effectively equivalent to their competition.

One could say they are independent from major third party investment at a stretch, but its better to call the Pandora what it is: open, rather than try to hoist an unrelated and irrelevant term upon it.

Indie != Open

I think homebrew and GMBSTNAWALS are different.

Homebrew devs are guys in their basement making games.

Whereas GMBSTNAWALS are guys in their basement making games, but with a NIIIIIICE website
laugh.gif

I live in the eighth floor thankyouverymuch :p

You've just shattered the great image of the developers "alchemy" room :

• walls full of monitors
  • dim lit piece
  • papers with esoteric scribblings on it scattered everywhere
  • old pizza boxes
  • piles of computers components
  • slight ozone perfume
  • multiple fan noise
  • cables crossing the room

sad.gif

• walls full of monitors
  • dim lit piece
  • old pizza boxes
  • slight ozone perfume
  • multiple fan noise

sad.gif

...i shouldn't take a picture of our basement should i...apart form the ozone perfume smell it perfectly fits, right down to the stacks of monitors for no good reason at all

• walls full of monitors
  • dim lit piece
  • old pizza boxes
  • slight ozone perfume
  • multiple fan noise

sad.gif

You've been to my house?

It really depends on which family member I'm staying with at the time. But I actually do all my development down at the local Starbucks :p

And I don't get the "it has furries :/" issue. What makes the characters in Lugaru different than Star Fox or Sonic the Hedgehog?

And I don't get the "it has furries :/" issue. What makes the characters in Lugaru different than Star Fox or Sonic the Hedgehog?
Sonic the Hedgehog is clearly a cartoon character, like Pikachu.

The Lugaru / Overgrowth characters, to me, look more like Pikaman,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgzDPDxrtto,

Which is disturbing.

Star Fox is really weird, though. Especially the barrel roll guy. His eyes are huge and they don't move, and his face tilts too much.

Back