Yet Another Reason To Own A Gp2x

bomberman

Well, I know a lot of people are gung-ho about homebrew and emulation (well OK me too), but I found a gem that is keeping Doom2 alive for me on my SD. Check out Deus Vult II. Some slow loading times and occasional stutter is expected. The WAD is 170Mb. Note: load saved game AFTER starting a new game.

The user comments for this WAD rave about it like crazy. I might have to give it a go. I'll just have to jog my memory re installing custom WADs.

Sounds cool. I just wished the Doom port on the GP2X didn't suck so much. It is confusing to get different WADs to work if you have more than one. You need to edit all kinds of scripts and parameters so I could never get it working.

Thanks for the heads up, will try it sometime soon :)

Doom (and all its immediate sequels) run great on the GP2X, but as DaveC said, the port is not as polished as GP32's GPDoom. I still play Doom mainly on the GP32 for this very reason :)

try this doom2-dv.gpe (output to txt is optional)

#!/bin/bash
./prboom -iwad ./id1/doom2.wad -file ./wads/dv2.wad > prboom.log.txt 2>&1
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec ./gp2xmenu

with this directory structure

game\interpreters\doom\id1\DOOM2.WAD
game\interpreters\doom\Doom2-DV.gpe
game\interpreters\doom\prbmsav0.dsg
game\interpreters\doom\prboom
game\interpreters\doom\prboom.cfg
game\interpreters\doom\prboom.log.txt
game\interpreters\doom\prboom.wad
game\interpreters\doom\tranmap.dat
game\interpreters\doom\wads
game\interpreters\doom\wads\dv2.wad

I also renamed the wad from DVII-1i.wad to dv2.wad to avoid case/dash issues.

I have add-on support scripts here, but I agree that it was a pain to get working initially. HACX, Alien Vendetta, Requiem, and a few more wads are top notch and keep me playing Doom for hours. Add DV2 and I now have a hard time keeping my maps straight.

Arghhh; it crashed after I get the blue key and enter the next map? maybe. Wow, it was great while it lasted. No errors in the log. Maybe I'll send a note to the DV2 creators and ask nicely for a compatibility fix for prboom 2.2.6. Oh, well, it was worth the half hour of play.

Hmmm, maybe I just like hearing myself talk (or is that type?). -warp 2 gets me to the next level. So I guess I'll play pistol starts. Anyway, a detraction but woth it. These levels are awesome.

bman said:
warp 2 gets me to the next level.
That's good. What is warp 2 though and why does it force you to start with a pistol?

Last edited by a moderator:
imhotep said:
bman said:
warp 2 gets me to the next level.
That's good. What is warp 2 though and why does it force you to start with a pistol?

Using -warp 2 gets me to Map 2 and starts anew, hence "Pistol Start" which is the moniker for a default startup. So, I created a .gpe that uses a parameter that I can use with gmenu to send a new digit if I crash on an end level to start the next map.

./prboom -iwad ./id1/doom2.wad -file ./wads/dv2.wad -warp $1

Last edited by a moderator:
Back