Xbox Emulation Quality?

saehn

Graphician
Website
www.myspace.com
I think I'd like to have a TV-ready device capable of a wide set of emulators. The XBOX seems like it's the most cost-efficient route. DiVX, emulators, MP3s, etc. PC would be great, but I don't want to spend the money on that. XBOX would cover my desired emulators, but I'd like to know the quality of them... that's something that search doesn't reveal. Can anyone provide input on these essential (for me) emulators? I see that they're all available, but how do they play? 100% sound, graphics, save games? Thanks for any input you feel like typing out.

NES
SNES
C64 (is there an XBOX keyboard?)
SMS
Genesis
NEO GEO
TurboGrafx-16 / PC-Engine
Intellivision
Atari 2600
DOS? (not sure if this is even available, I know the others are)

My dream system would have wireless controllers. I'm not so concerned about original XBOX games, because I've never heard of any particularly interesting. Halo on console? I'd rather play Half-Life. ;)

All of the emulators except one I've tried so far have been full speed with sound. That includes NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Playstation, PC Engine, and MSX. All of the XPort emulators are full of features and are really good quality. The only emu I've tried that wasn't perfect was the N64 emu, and it was still playable in most games.

There's no XBox keyboard, but there was an adapter that would let you use a PS/2 PC keyboard and mouse. It's called the smartjoy frag, but I don't know if it's any good because I've never tried it.

Ravnos posted on Feb 3 2007 at 10:42 PM said:
All of the emulators except one I've tried so far have been full speed with sound. That includes NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Playstation, PC Engine, and MSX. All of the XPort emulators are full of features and are really good quality. The only emu I've tried that wasn't perfect was the N64 emu, and it was still playable in most games.

Excellent, thank you. I forgot about N64. The only games from that console that I want to play are Zelda:OoT and Zelda:MoM. One day I want to play Wind Waker on the Gamecube, but I'm in no rush.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah xport emus are great, the ps1 emulator runs at full speed (bitch to get going though) all the emulators ive tried have a lot of settings to deal with so its a lot of trial and error

this is from the auto installer manual
emusna4.jpg

Samba Pa Ti posted on Feb 3 2007 at 09:21 PM said:
yeah xport emus are great, the ps1 emulator runs at full speed (bitch to get going though)

I had no trouble with it. I extracted it, FTP-ed it to my hard drive, and then threw a couple of bin/cue files on there. Symphony of the Night played straight away, as did In The Hunt. I haven't tried more than that since I don't have a lot of PSX ISOs. One problem with the PSX emulator is that, according to the readme, it apparently doesn't play legit games. You have to rip your PSX games to get them to play.

You can make a keyboard adapter just by cutting up a USB keyboard cable and adding the Xbox plug to it, or making an adapter.

Ravnos posted on Feb 4 2007 at 04:38 AM said:

actually getting the games going wasnt the problem it was mostly graphics errors or the games actually running too fast i had to tinker with (somtimes on weird settings the graphics would be pulled into the corner in a horrid stretched way when the ps1 warning/boot screen came on) but once its going its great, i had a similar speed problem with snes (had problems with the gp2x too) Mario all stars runs like crap for some reason, with frame skip on auto when mario jumps the screen is really jerky, and if i mess with any of the settings the audio is the wrong speed (or it breaks up as it trys to keep in sync).

Samba Pa Ti posted on Feb 4 2007 at 12:51 AM said:
Ravnos posted on Feb 4 2007 at 04:38 AM said:

actually getting the games going wasnt the problem it was mostly graphics errors or the games actually running too fast i had to tinker with (somtimes on weird settings the graphics would be pulled into the corner in a horrid stretched way when the ps1 warning/boot screen came on) but once its going its great, i had a similar speed problem with snes (had problems with the gp2x too) Mario all stars runs like crap for some reason, with frame skip on auto when mario jumps the screen is really jerky, and if i mess with any of the settings the audio is the wrong speed (or it breaks up as it trys to keep in sync).
Which emulator are you using? I mainly use zsnesxbox and it works pretty good, but there's also xsnes9x. If a game runs crappy in one emu, maybe try the other?

ok im going all pedantic here....

well you can run one nes emulator on the xbox 360, BUT i dont reckon the common man will be able to use it...

as you need to pay for that devlopers XNA home studio thing :)

Back