wxPython?

omega-weapon

Ok, so I recently found out about Anki and would like to try it out on my Pandora. Turns out I need to install wxPython.

I've downloaded it from the Repo, put it on my card, when I run it, it just tells me about demos. What the hell am I supposed to do to actually install it? Everywhere I've looked it just says "Make sure you have the wxPython.pnd installed" and there are never any instructions HOW to install it.

Am I completely missing the point here? Or is it something that is only for advanced users and I should just scrap the idea of Anki on my Pandora?

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of what I get.

yhduGNT.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Anki need wxPython, but you don't need to launch it to make Anki work.

Just Launch Anki, and it will find wxPython by itself and will use it automaticaly...

Right, well unfortunately, something is still not working. I already tried just running Anki but nothing happens. The SD activity light flashes for a moment, then nothing.

What am I doing wrong? This is so frustrating! :(

Right, well unfortunately, something is still not working. I already tried just running Anki but nothing happens. The SD activity light flashes for a moment, then nothing.

What am I doing wrong? This is so frustrating! :(
I think it's something else, I guess the "locale" problem some other got.

From a terminal, do "sudo mousepad ~/.bashrc" and (after typing your password) add a line with

export LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8"

that should fix Anki.

*Sigh* Just tried that, didn't make a difference. Performed a restart too, but still doesn't boot. :(
You need a LANG line like this in your .profile:

export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8

(instead of en_GB.UTF-8, you can substitute a similar, valid langauge code, for example en_US.UTF-8). You should find your .profile file in your home directory. When Anki is first started, it prompts you to select your language preference. However, for this prompt to work, it needs guess what, a language setting - kind of a catch 22 - but there you go!

You will need to logout/login or reboot for the change to take effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ptitSeb

Just run this WxPython PND (the latest from repo) but it won't run any demo it say on terminal:

Welcome to wxPython command line
you can find a demo of wxPython in demo, run it with 'python demo/demo.py'
Also, wxGlade can be run with 'python wxGlade/wxglade.py'
And, to launch PyQT demos do 'python examples/demos/qtdemos/qtdemos.py'
type exit to close this window
/mnt/utmp/wxpython$ python demo/demo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/mnt/utmp/wxpython/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/_misc.py", line 1367, in Notify
    self.notify()
  File "/mnt/utmp/wxpython/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/_core.py", line 16866, in Notify
    self.result = self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/mnt/utmp/wxpython/demo/Main.py", line 2855, in ShowMain
    frame = wxPythonDemo(None, "wxPython: (A Demonstration)")
  File "/mnt/utmp/wxpython/demo/Main.py", line 1718, in __init__
    self.ReadConfigurationFile()
  File "/mnt/utmp/wxpython/demo/Main.py", line 1866, in ReadConfigurationFile
    config = GetConfig()
  File "/mnt/utmp/wxpython/demo/Main.py", line 1155, in GetConfig
    os.makedirs(GetDataDir())
  File "/mnt/utmp/wxpython/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/mnt/utmp/wxpython/home/.wxPyDemo'
I'm using a Fat32 SD card and latest SuperZaxxon (1.60)

The PND.out say

=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/8GBVERBAT/pandora/apps/wxpython.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/8GBVERBAT/pandora/appdata/wxpython
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/wxpython"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/8GBVERBAT/pandora/appdata/wxpython=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/wxpython=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/wxpython"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh  ) ----------
Launching wxPython
(terminal:2005): Terminal-DEBUG: D-Bus reply error: Name "org.xfce.Terminal4" does not exist (terminal-error-quark: 4)
Thanks

Oh, seems I have added some folder I shouldn't (leftover of previous tests). I'll package a new release this weekend..

Thanks for looking at it :)

A suggestion...why not open a new thread for WxPython?

Thanks for looking at it :)

A suggestion...why not open a new thread for WxPython?
Yes, I will. I kind of forgot that when I published the package. I'll do that this weekend, with a new release, with the documents and code snippet needed to use it :)

Back